16 million colors at 1152x864?

Post by Phil Howa » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

This was not in the FAQ.  Yes, I checked.
This was not in the man pages.  Yes, I checked.

I'd like to know what boards can be used with XFree86 to get 16 million
colors (24 bpp or 32 bpp) at 1152x864?

I don't have a board yet, so I can't tell you the chipsets.  I want to
choose a board that WILL work this way and buy it.

I've had people recommend the Matrox Millenium, but the FAQ says that
Matrox chipsets are not yet supported although development is underway.
I don't know that the Matrox Millenium really uses a Matrox chipset,
but one would think it probably would.  The FAQ doesn't clarify.

I've found the ATI Turbo Pro 4 meg PCI on store shelves.  I don't know
that it is a Mach64 for sure, but one might think so.  I have no idea
what RAMDACs are in it.  The FAQ doesn't even come close to explaining
any of this.  But lingering in my memory is that ATI uses 24 bpp modes
and XFree86 wants 32 bpp (despite the man page giving 24 bpp as an option
that can be specified).  Was 24 bpp a very recent addition?

Who is really running 1152x864 by 16 million colors on a PCI board and
getting at least 75 Hz vertical (non-interlace?) mode?

--
Phil Howard KA9WGN   +-------------------------------------------------------+
Linux Consultant     |  Linux installation, configuration, administration,   |

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I'd like to know what boards can be used with XFree86 to get 16 million
: colors (24 bpp or 32 bpp) at 1152x864?

Millennium...read on.

: I've had people recommend the Matrox Millenium, but the FAQ says that
: Matrox chipsets are not yet supported although development is underway.
: I don't know that the Matrox Millenium really uses a Matrox chipset,
: but one would think it probably would.  The FAQ doesn't clarify.

Look for support in the next release of XFree86. Late October likely.

Matrox Millennium uses the Matrox MGA-2064W graphics engine,
which pumps data out to the Texas Instruments Ti3026 RAMDAC.

--

Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
XFree86 Matrox Team http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

Post by Paul Franci » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> [ ...some deleted lines here...]
> Who is really running 1152x864 by 16 million colors on a PCI board and
> getting at least 75 Hz vertical (non-interlace?) mode?

   I am!  With #9 771 4MB.   Actually using 1152x870
   with TrueColor.   It's great.

--

PGP Public key available at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html
Home Page http://www2.magmacom.com/~pfrancis

1. 1152x864 in 16 bit color, Diamond Stealth 3D 2000

I have installed RH4.2 on this machine, and after finding that metro-x
wouldn't work, installed the xfree86 server. It runs fine, but
unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out how get it into 1152x864,
which is what I run it under NT and win95. The sun workstations default
resolution is 1152x900, so I was hoping that I could mine up to that, and
have messed with (with bad results) the xconfig file, and lost some
resolutions, until I restored the old one. Also, x insists on running the
monitor interlaced at higher resolutions, 1280x1024, even though the card
and the monitor can do it non interlaced.

How can I get my res to 1152x864??

TIA,
Kenneth S. Courtney

2. Compliling error 2.2.16

3. 16 million colour X

4. Help - deleted opt filesystem

5. 16 million colours under X11

6. is there anyone to log ftp

7. Accelerated-X 3.1 and 255 + 16 million colors mode

8. bash on sequent

9. getting 16 million colors on a VGA screen

10. VLB, 16 MB, Cirrus 5428, and 16/24 bit color

11. XFree86 3.2 / Diamond Stealth64 VRAM / 1152x864@16-bit

12. Diamond Stealth64 Video 2001 and 1152x864 resolution/16 bpp

13. FS - 16" Sun Color Monitors - $59.99 - 17" Sun Color Monitors $69.99