viewing the whole Card database for xf86config

Post by ragtho » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can view/scroll through the cards database that
is used in the xf86config tool?  I have an SiS 6326 card and I'm
having the usual SiS problems, but when I try to use xf86config and
view the cards database I only get to see 17 entries and I can't
scroll through anymore.  I know there are more because if I choose a
number higher than 17 (up into the 500's) I get valid card and chipset
names.

I have seen in a couple of sources that the entry I'm looking for is
#506, but if I type that in I get an STB card instead.  If it helps
I'm using Caldera Open Linux 2.2.5.

TIA.

Post by Anita Lew » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Does anyone know how I can view/scroll through the cards database that
>is used in the xf86config tool?  I have an SiS 6326 card and I'm
>having the usual SiS problems, but when I try to use xf86config and
>view the cards database I only get to see 17 entries and I can't
>scroll through anymore.  I know there are more because if I choose a
>number higher than 17 (up into the 500's) I get valid card and chipset
>names.

>I have seen in a couple of sources that the entry I'm looking for is
>#506, but if I type that in I get an STB card instead.  If it helps
>I'm using Caldera Open Linux 2.2.5.

>TIA.

Are you saying that you see the first 17 cards and then when you hit enter,
you do not get the next 17?

I have XFree86 3.3.6 and the number for that card on my system is 626.  I am
not using Caldera, but if you have the same version of X, that should be
right.

Anita

viewing the whole Card database for xf86config

Post by Web Enthusias » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Simply Hit Enter and the next screen should come up. I have a SiS6326 and
the number, in Red Hat, is 626

Quote:> Hi,

> Does anyone know how I can view/scroll through the cards database that
> is used in the xf86config tool?  I have an SiS 6326 card and I'm
> having the usual SiS problems, but when I try to use xf86config and
> view the cards database I only get to see 17 entries and I can't
> scroll through anymore.  I know there are more because if I choose a
> number higher than 17 (up into the 500's) I get valid card and chipset
> names.

> I have seen in a couple of sources that the entry I'm looking for is
> #506, but if I type that in I get an STB card instead.  If it helps
> I'm using Caldera Open Linux 2.2.5.

> TIA.

viewing the whole Card database for xf86config

Post by ragtho » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the advice.  Hitting the enter key still didn't give me any
other cards to choose from, but after entering wild values for a while
(about 20 minutes) I tried 605, rather than the 506 I had been quoted.
If only I'd tried that first.  No I have a running kde.  All I have to
try and figure out now is how to get rid of the really bright squashed
bit at the top of the screen.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Post by bullwinkl » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks for the advice.  Hitting the enter key still didn't give me any
> other cards to choose from, but after entering wild values for a while
> (about 20 minutes) I tried 605, rather than the 506 I had been quoted.
> If only I'd tried that first.  No I have a running kde.  All I have to
> try and figure out now is how to get rid of the really bright squashed
> bit at the top of the screen.

> Thanks again.

> Cheers.

> >>Hi,

> >>Does anyone know how I can view/scroll through the cards database that
> >>is used in the xf86config tool?  I have an SiS 6326 card and I'm
> >>having the usual SiS problems, but when I try to use xf86config and
> >>view the cards database I only get to see 17 entries and I can't
> >>scroll through anymore.  I know there are more because if I choose a
> >>number higher than 17 (up into the 500's) I get valid card and chipset
> >>names.

> >>I have seen in a couple of sources that the entry I'm looking for is
> >>#506, but if I type that in I get an STB card instead.  If it helps
> >>I'm using Caldera Open Linux 2.2.5.

> >>TIA.

> >Are you saying that you see the first 17 cards and then when you hit
enter,
> >you do not get the next 17?

> >I have XFree86 3.3.6 and the number for that card on my system is 626.
I am
> >not using Caldera, but if you have the same version of X, that should be
> >right.

> >Anita

You may also want to look at http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/SiS.html for
more information on the SiS 6326. It explains some of the options for
XF86Config.  If you get strange behavior from the SiS 6326 chipset, these
explinations come in handy.

1. xf86config file and cards database

hi all,
i need your /etc/X11/XF86config files.
Im trying to setup a card and XF86config files database
in order to help others. Since i dont have the chance to
buy and try all the cards with different monitors and mouse
on different distributions, i need your nice XF86config files.
Also im planning to make the database searchable through

1. Cards
2. XFree86 release
3. X server
etc.

I need the following info if you gently decide to send me
your XF86config. You can simply edit this message and reply me
with the attached file.

1. Mouse type ________________

2. Monitor Section
   Monitor Vendor   ___________
   Monitor Model     ___________
   Horiz. Ref Rates    ____ - ____
   Vert. Ref Rates     ____ - ____

3. Card Section
   Card name  __________________
   Chipset    __________________
   video Mem  __________________ kbs

4. Which XFree86 Server are you Using? If it is a edited version
   please note this. (e.g. SuSE's XServer ver. blah blah..)
   _________________________

5. Which X server you setup the card with?
   (e.g XF86_SVGA or XF86_VGA etc.)
   _________________________

6. At which depts you are able to use this card?
   (put an X if its possible)

    8 bpp 800x600       __
    8 bpp 1024x768     __
    8 bpp 1280x1024   __

   16 bpp 800x600      __
   16 bpp 1024x768    __
   16 bpp 1280x1024  __

   24 bpp 800x600      __
   24 bpp 1024x768    __
   24 bpp 1280x1024  __

   32 bpp 800x600      __
   32 bpp 1024x768    __
   32 bpp 1280x1024  __

7.  other: if you like!
                         _________________
8.  tips & tricks if you like!
                         _________________

9. Can i show your e-mail, so someone with the same card having problems

   can contact you and get help?

   Please write yes or no _______

10. If you accept helping others which e-mail adress should i put?

Any suggestions are welcome. And ah, anyone with spare time
to help me within this project? By the way the database now contains
230 files with a range of 43 cards, web site is on the way.
Thanx a lot.

r. tolga korkunckaya

metu-dept. of sociology

2. "/usr is busy" error message on shutdown

3. xf86config file and card database

4. timeout DC390F <> CDR-55s

5. How do I tell xfree86 to view whole desktop?

6. 2.5.40 FB_RIVA broken

7. How to view/edit xf86config?

8. POP3 for Linux?

9. Database : Which is best from a performance point of view?

10. xf86config database

11. XF86Config database available?

12. ISO database of monitor XF86Config settings