ICQ for Linux

ICQ for Linux

Post by Highlande » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00



Hi,

I am running ICQ for Linux running Java Script. I am looking for another
ICQ server out there that might perhaps act as an ICQ proxy. Is there
such a server out there and if so, will someone tell me how I can get
onto it.

I know about mirabilis, so please do not recommend this. Any other will
be much appreciated

thanx in anticipation

 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00



> Hi,

> I am running ICQ for Linux running Java Script. I am looking for another
> ICQ server out there that might perhaps act as an ICQ proxy. Is there
> such a server out there and if so, will someone tell me how I can get
> onto it.

> I know about mirabilis, so please do not recommend this. Any other will
> be much appreciated

    I don't know about alternative servers...or why you'd need
one...(other than speed) but there ARE Linux-folk working on
replacements to it.  Someone sent me a file called "mircq"  that'd let
you post messages to a large number of ICQ recipients.  If you can find
this file (DejaNews) they you will find the people
working on it, and they're likely to know all of it.

    Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262                                    
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Gregory Sysa » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00




> > Hi,

> > I am running ICQ for Linux running Java Script. I am looking for another
> > ICQ server out there that might perhaps act as an ICQ proxy. Is there
> > such a server out there and if so, will someone tell me how I can get
> > onto it.

> > I know about mirabilis, so please do not recommend this. Any other will
> > be much appreciated

>     I don't know about alternative servers...or why you'd need
> one...(other than speed) but there ARE Linux-folk working on
> replacements to it.  Someone sent me a file called "mircq"  that'd let
> you post messages to a large number of ICQ recipients.  If you can find
> this file (DejaNews) they you will find the people
> working on it, and they're likely to know all of it.

>     Brian

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
> Linux-head
> Evansville, IN
> ICQ:5119262
> http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  I have ICQ working under RedHat 5.0 with jdk1.1.5, which you need. I don't think
it runs under earlier versions. Get jdk1.1.5 install it, then download ICQ unzip it
and edit the install file. That should do it. You might have to play around with
the directory paths in the install file.. it took me a while, but I got it. Good
luck
              Greg
 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Dinosau » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00





> > > Hi,

> > > I am running ICQ for Linux running Java Script. I am looking for another
> > > ICQ server out there that might perhaps act as an ICQ proxy. Is there
> > > such a server out there and if so, will someone tell me how I can get
> > > onto it.

> > > I know about mirabilis, so please do not recommend this. Any other will
> > > be much appreciated

> >     I don't know about alternative servers...or why you'd need
> > one...(other than speed) but there ARE Linux-folk working on
> > replacements to it.  Someone sent me a file called "mircq"  that'd let
> > you post messages to a large number of ICQ recipients.  If you can find
> > this file (DejaNews) they you will find the people
> > working on it, and they're likely to know all of it.

> >     Brian

> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
> > Linux-head
> > Evansville, IN
> > ICQ:5119262
> > http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>   I have ICQ working under RedHat 5.0 with jdk1.1.5, which you need. I don't think
> it runs under earlier versions. Get jdk1.1.5 install it, then download ICQ unzip it
> and edit the install file. That should do it. You might have to play around with
> the directory paths in the install file.. it took me a while, but I got it. Good
> luck
>               Greg

someone said , if u want to run ICQ only and don't programming in Java ,
the best way to make the icq work is downloading JRE(forget the corret
spelling) runtime library ! it that true ?
--
-----------------------------------
----- The Crazy LinuXer {*_*} -----
-----------------------------------
 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00







[ Stuff snipped; DejaNews can't hold it all]

Quote:

> >   I have ICQ working under RedHat 5.0 with jdk1.1.5, which you need. I don't think
> > it runs under earlier versions. Get jdk1.1.5 install it, then download ICQ unzip it
> > and edit the install file. That should do it. You might have to play around with
> > the directory paths in the install file.. it took me a while, but I got it. Good
> > luck
> >               Greg

> someone said , if u want to run ICQ only and don't programming in Java ,
> the best way to make the icq work is downloading JRE(forget the corret
> spelling) runtime library ! it that true ?

    Yeah, that's true, and I've always wondered about the waste of disk
space, since I don't do any programming...but where can you find a JRE
RPM?  I, for one, would like to try it out!

    Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262                                    
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Jonathan Freiermut » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00


check out ftp.suse.com/pub/SuSE-Linux/5.2/suse/d1/javarunt.rpm

SuSE rules !


>     Yeah, that's true, and I've always wondered about the waste of disk
> space, since I don't do any programming...but where can you find a JRE
> RPM?  I, for one, would like to try it out!

>     Brian

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
> Linux-head
> Evansville, IN
> ICQ:5119262
> http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
> charge."
>                                                          -- Right, Mr.
> Gingrich?

--
Jonathan Freiermuth
Doom Room Unix Geek
Personal Communications Interactive, Inc.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download
 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by A Guy Called Tyket » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00


        Why not just wait for ICQ for X, which should be out soon, according
to their page at miribilis.com and icq.com? should be better than
grabbing the 15M JDK and putting that together...

                                                        BL.
--


WebMaster, NewsMaster.. Smeghead! :)    |   http://www.omnilinx.net/~tyketto
    PGP: 1024/E9DF4D85 67 6B 33 D0 B9 95 F4 37  4B D1 CE BD 48 B0 06 93

 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>         Why not just wait for ICQ for X, which should be out soon, according
> to their page at miribilis.com and icq.com? should be better than
> grabbing the 15M JDK and putting that together...

    Because ICQ for Java has most of the bugs out, it's something I've
installed several times so it's easy, and the RPM for jdk-1.1.5-5 goes
in in about 10 seconds.  Besides, the JDK is only 10M, not 15; it's not
so bad.

    Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262                                    
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by John Timmer » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00





> >       Why not just wait for ICQ for X, which should be out soon, according
> >to their page at miribilis.com and icq.com? should be better than
> >grabbing the 15M JDK and putting that together...

> Because according to their page at mirabilis there has meant to be ICQ for X
> 'soon' for the last 6 months or so?

I don't know what the big deal is with ICQ.  Some of my friends who use
Windows95, etc. have encouraged me to use it (I would have to run it
with ICQ, obviously) but I don't see any big advantage to it.  If you
are trying to contact someone, why not just send an email?  This is
still the easiest way to contact someone who has an internet account of
some sort.

I am not a proponent of ICQ, nor of Windows 95 (or 98, whatever...)

I advocate the use of linux, and its supporting software.
--
Regards


Selfish Website   http://mindlink.bc.ca/john_timmers

 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00




> I don't know what the big deal is with ICQ.  Some of my friends who use
> Windows95, etc. have encouraged me to use it (I would have to run it
> with ICQ, obviously) but I don't see any big advantage to it.  If you
> are trying to contact someone, why not just send an email?  This is
> still the easiest way to contact someone who has an internet account of
> some sort.

> I am not a proponent of ICQ, nor of Windows 95 (or 98, whatever...)

> I advocate the use of linux, and its supporting software.

    Normally I don't like such `touchy-feely` stuff like ICQ, but it's
nice to be able to locate people that I've not seen for the last 10-12
years as well as know then they're online, so you can talk.  A lot of
these people have 'search paths' that include changed phone numbers and
multiple email accounts, so I couldn't find them any other way.

    I'm running RH5.0 on an AMD K6/200, with 64M of RAM.  I know it's a
lot of machine, but I've yet to notice the speed problems...and now that
the RPM packagers are getting industrious, swapping out JDKs to fine
tune ICQ is very, very quick and trouble-free.  The only remaining
problem I have is the sound, but that's no big deal...I'd almost rather
it NOT work.  :)

    ICQ offers you something intangible.  Imagine email as a phone call
to someone; ICQ is like placing a phone call to where a party is going
on.  I can't explain why, exactly, but its a lot of fun.  Isn't that
weird?

    Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262                                    
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

 
 
 

ICQ for Linux

Post by Bob Nixo » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00


: >

: > >
: > >       Why not just wait for ICQ for X, which should be out soon, according
: > >to their page at miribilis.com and icq.com? should be better than
: > >grabbing the 15M JDK and putting that together...
: >
: > Because according to their page at mirabilis there has meant to be ICQ for X
: > 'soon' for the last 6 months or so?

: I don't know what the big deal is with ICQ.  Some of my friends who use
: Windows95, etc. have encouraged me to use it (I would have to run it
: with ICQ, obviously) but I don't see any big advantage to it.  If you
: are trying to contact someone, why not just send an email?  This is
: still the easiest way to contact someone who has an internet account of
: some sort.

Who cares? Take your attitude over to comp.os.linux.advocacy. You're
contributing absolutely nothing to this thread. ICQ, is a nice addition to
the internet and communications in general. With finger supported by fewer
and fewer ISP's, ICQ and it's extended capabilities <peer to peer,
transfers & chat> would be a fine addition to the Linux set of Internet
applications. After all, without the internet Linux is just another arcane
OS.

: I am not a proponent of ICQ, nor of Windows 95 (or 98, whatever...)

You sure could have fooled me :)

: I advocate the use of linux, and its supporting software.

And no doubt, in keeping with the stogy old stutus quo, too.

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Nixon                                  __  __     ____  ___       ___
____

                                        /   / \  / / / / /__ /  \/ /___  /
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

1. ICQ and Linux gateway

Something weird going on here !

If i receive a message or system event on icq , I re-receive the exact
same messages/events EVERY time I open ICQ.

If I dial up up directly on the win pc running icq I again receive
them but then they seem to be then ackowledged at the miribilis end
and I dont see the same messages again.

What is Smoothwall blocking and how can i get around this?
Using icq99a beta2 ( yes i know its an old version but i heard that
the icq_masq module doesnt support icq2000)

2. Powerstack install - SCSI problems?

3. ICQ and Linux and IRC while your at it ???

4. Ipchains, Ipmasq - CUTEFTP HELP

5. Java ICQ for Linux...

6. ISDN server help

7. ICQ and Linux? Time Out Error?

8. ISA nic and Solaris 8 (intel)

9. ICQ for Linux

10. ICQ auf Linux

11. Where can I get ICQ for Linux

12. Icq for Linux?

13. ICQ with Linux...