Problems with XFree86 using ATIMach32, and a Commodore 1930-A

Problems with XFree86 using ATIMach32, and a Commodore 1930-A

Post by Blair Lo » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Whenever I use startx, my screen is scrunched to the middle vertically
(about half the screen size). I cannot read a thing, so I must
ctrl-alt-backspace to
get back to the command prompt.

I know that I can (and I have) try to alter the settings in
/etc/XF86Config, but I am at the end of my experience now.

I have read the FAQ on "XFree86 Video Timings HOWTO", but I do not want to
destroy the Monitor by putting in bad timings etc..

I cannot run xvidtune since I cannot see anything in X.

Although I found an entry for a Commodore 1950 Monitor in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/Monitors, I cannot find one for the Commodore
1930-A.

Having used the entry for the 1950, I have found the results above.

Don't forget to remove the spam reply field in my email address before replying.

Thanks in Advance,
Blair.

Problems with XFree86 using ATIMach32, and a Commodore 1930-A

Post by Blair Lo » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

FYI:

I fixed it by running deleting the /etc/X11/XF86Config, and re-running
Xconfigurator. I beleive I had chosen "Custom" Monitor instead of "Generic
Monitor". I think I had also used the wrong Mach32 video board choice as
well.

> Whenever I use startx, my screen is scrunched to the middle vertically
> (about half the screen size). I cannot read a thing, so I must
> ctrl-alt-backspace to
> get back to the command prompt.

> I know that I can (and I have) try to alter the settings in
> /etc/XF86Config, but I am at the end of my experience now.

> I have read the FAQ on "XFree86 Video Timings HOWTO", but I do not want to
> destroy the Monitor by putting in bad timings etc..

> I cannot run xvidtune since I cannot see anything in X.

> Although I found an entry for a Commodore 1950 Monitor in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/Monitors, I cannot find one for the Commodore
> 1930-A.

> Having used the entry for the 1950, I have found the results above.

> Don't forget to remove the spam reply field in my email address before
replying.

> Thanks in Advance,
> Blair.

1. Will Sun P/N 501-1930 64mb memory work in a SparcStation 20?

This RAM was originally destined for a SparcSTATION 10. I have an older
dual-CPU 60MHz SparcSTATION 20. I thought most components were pretty
interchangable among the old SS 5/10/20 line -- but the support person
is telling me otherwise...

If it's indeed NOT compatible, I would like to understand why, as I
have often seen RAM upgrades advertised generically for the older SS
line.

-- Kaelin

2. OpCom Solutions Inc., - Several Positions for our Chicago Office

3. X on Compaq Presario 1930 Laptop

4. rc shell

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Solaris 2.x Ftp and tcshs6.xx

7. commodore IP3300 Printer Problems.

8. PCMCIA and Voyager

9. XF86Config for ATIMach32

10. How to run X with ATImach32

11. ATIMach32/Linux/VDIF/DEC VR299 fixed freq.... who knows this ??

12. Commodore 64 as Linux terminal?

13. Problems using Cirrus Logic 5434 in >8 bitplanes under XFree86 3.1