X for DOS/WIN to use as Linux terminal

Post by Dr DJ Elli » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone knoe of a (preferably PD) version of X windows for DOS or
Windows that I could use one one of my old computers to turn it into an
X-terminal for Linux.

Copies of replies by email appreciated.

David.

Dr DJ Ellis             |  See our family Homepage at:
London, UK              |  http://ourworld.compuserve.com

Post by Dr DJ Elli » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone knoe of a (preferably PD) version of X windows for DOS or
> Windows that I could use one one of my old computers to turn it into an
> X-terminal for Linux.

> Copies of replies by email appreciated.

> David.

I am sorry this is not very clear.

I need a DOS/Windows X program to run on a low end PC so I can use this
as a terminal to my Linux box. i.e. something my daughter can use as a
PC for her school work but also as an x-terminal to log into my Linux
machine to do *real* computing.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Post by Stas » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: I need a DOS/Windows X program to run on a low end PC so I can use this
: as a terminal to my Linux box. i.e. something my daughter can use as a
: PC for her school work but also as an x-terminal to log into my Linux
: machine to do *real* computing.

Someone had just asked me this same question but for a Power Mac.
He's running Linux on a PC for a web server and would like to use
the Power Mac he has at home as an X terminal.

This may be moot question now. This Power Mac uses the 604 chip for
which there was no port of MKLinux at the time we spoke. This may
have changed since. He said that he was eagerly looking forward to
getting this when it becomes available.

Edward

Post by Richard Ta » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone knoe of a (preferably PD) version of X windows for DOS or
> Windows that I could use one one of my old computers to turn it into an
> X-terminal for Linux.

> Copies of replies by email appreciated.

> David.

> Dr DJ Ellis             |  See our family Homepage at:
> London, UK              |  http://www.veryComputer.com/

We use X-WinPro by Labtam.  It works fine in both Windows 3.1 and
Windows 95.

Labtam
120 Hudson Street
Northborough, MA 01532
USA
Seles 800-952-2826
International 1-508-393-5780

--
Richard D. Tan
*ia Power

Post by Jonathan Skan » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: : I need a DOS/Windows X program to run on a low end PC so I can use this
: : as a terminal to my Linux box. i.e. something my daughter can use as a
: : PC for her school work but also as an x-terminal to log into my Linux
: : machine to do *real* computing.

I've been using X-win 32 for win 95 (16 bit version also available).  I
found it on www.windows95.com in the network shareware/ terminal telnet
clients section.  Install was a breeze and it works with rsh, rexec, and
xdm.  The demo version shuts down and must be restarted after 4(?) hours
of continuous use.

Jon

--
***************************************
*                                     *

*     http://www.seascape.com/~jon    *
*                                     *
***************************************

Post by David Elli » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> We use X-WinPro by Labtam.  It works fine in both Windows 3.1 and
> Windows 95.

> Labtam
> 120 Hudson Street
> Northborough, MA 01532
> USA
> Seles 800-952-2826
> International 1-508-393-5780

> --
> Richard D. Tan
> *ia Power

Thank you, I'll drop them a line.

D.

Dr DJ Ellis             |  See our family Homepage at:
London, UK              |  http://www.veryComputer.com/

X for DOS/WIN to use as Linux terminal

Post by Damon LoCasc » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Err for what it's worth my four penny's says there already is a Xserver for plain ol' MSDOS subject to the same PD rules as XFree stuff.

check out you local sunsite mirror under

Simtel/msdos/xwindows

Useful for low spec machines I think :)

Best of luck..

1. Using Dos Kermit as terminal for Linux

I have configured an old 286 as a dumb terminal for my Linux server.
The link is a null modem cable.  I am currently using Dos Kermit on
the 286 end to do the terminal emulation.  There are some problems.
For one thing, kermit will not 'shut up' sufficiently to allow the screen
to look right.  It prints odd little facts about the time, the link
and so forth and destroys the screen when programs like emacs and pine
are running.  I want kermit to run totally 'silent'.  It should make
no output to the screen at all and should only trap the character
needed to terminate the link.  Is there a way to do this?

| Greg Propf, Towson State Univ   |  "First things first, not necessarily |
| Towson, MD (physics '96)        |    in that order" - Dr. Who           |

2. Success with the Orchid Sound Wave 32

3. using linux box as a terminal threw the serial port can this be done

4. SEM_UNDO question - HELP!

5. How to make a CD-ROM for Linux, using Win or DOS?

6. Release of 64 bit Sparc Compilers ! when ?

7. SCO Ansi terminal emulator programs for DOS/WIN (FREE).

8. linking /var to another partition does not work! Why?

9. Using a Win 95 Machine as a FreeBSD terminal ????

10. Using LILO to dual-boot Win ME and Win 3.1, NO Linux installed?

11. how to make a Dos boot disk using win 95 ???

12. Using Lilo to Boot different flavors of DOS/Win

13. DOS won't boot using LILO and Bootmanager