Diamond Stealth VRAM (ISA) Problem

Post by Wolfgang Wegn » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

i have a Problem with XFreee86-3.3 on a (old) Diamond Stealth Vram Card.
I do not know the exact type, but it is ISA architecture, has 1MB VRAM,
a S3-86C911 and obviously some special Clockchip made by Diamond.

X starts fine (as it can on a 386-40...), but when I try to leave X or
change to a text-mode console, the Screen mode changes (as I recognize
at the monitor), and the machine crashes. When shutting down the Server,
the screen is blank, and when changing to a text-console, there are vertical
lines on the screen. When running sync in a loop, last lines to appear
in ~/.X.err are:
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

waiting for X server to shut down .X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Does anybody know about this problem? Or even better, does anybody know
how to avoid this?
Configuration:
386Dx-40+387,8MB ram, Adaptec 1542,
SuSE 5.0 (Kernel 2.0.30), but same Problem with self-made Configuration

hopefully awaiting reactions,

Wolfgang