Dual 1600x1200 LCD digital displays

Post by David V. Anderso » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:17:18

Well, I've got two ViewSonic VP201mb displays that display beautiful
images when the digital inputs are used.  However, the only card that I
can find with dual DVI outputs that will display 1600x1200 is the 3Dlabs
Oxygen GVX420; but I can't find anything that indicates that this is
supported under linux for dual displays.

Another option (which would save some $) would be to use an AGP and a PCI
card.  But once again, I can't find a PCI card with DVI output that does
1600x1200.

When I use analog I can't get the image tuned over the whole screen so at
least one window always has blurry fonts (where a single pixel is averaged
over two physical pixels).

Any ideas?

Regards,
David

Dual 1600x1200 LCD digital displays

Post by Adam Schuetz » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:00:56

Quote:> Well, I've got two ViewSonic VP201mb displays that display beautiful
> images when the digital inputs are used.  However, the only card that I
> can find with dual DVI outputs that will display 1600x1200 is the 3Dlabs
> Oxygen GVX420; but I can't find anything that indicates that this is
> supported under linux for dual displays.

David,

From

http://www.3dlabs.com/product/card/oxygen_gvx420/oxygen_gvx420.htm

the GVX420 uses GLINT R4 rasterisers and GLINT Gamma 2 geometry
processor.

From

http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/glint.4.html

the `glint' driver supports GLINT Gamma, GLINT MX, GLINT 500TX.  It doesn't
specifically say that it supports the GLINT R4, but I am using a
GVX1 on my home computer which uses GLINT R3 rasteriser and GLINT Gamma 1
geometry processor, and it works beautifully with the `glint' driver.
This suggests it will work for the GVX420.

From the looks of it, the GVX420 uses two separate graphics processors,
which are accessible individually by Xfree86.  You actually configure two
"device" entries, one for each chip.  Then you can use Xinerama to set up
the dual monitors so that the two monitors act as a single huge
workspace.

I have some jpeg scans of a `Maximum Linux' article describing how to do
dual monitors with both dual graphics cards and dual-output agp cards.
There are four images, for about 10MB for the group.  If you want, I can
put them up for download.  I think you will find that the article will
answer all your questsions re: dual monitor xfree86 configuration.

Let me know by email if you want these scans.

Adam

1. Digital LCD monitor and digital video card

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience using LCD monitor
with digital video card through digital input
signal without using any analog signal conversion?
In order to maximize the benefit of LCD monitor's digital
feature, I think it is desirable to use digital video card instead
of analog one.

I tried to buy SGI 1600SW LCD monitor with 3D Lab's Oxygen
VX1-1600SW video card, but my co-worker told me they have
some problem with Linux.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Hiro

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Linux Conf.

3. Fragmented display - Mach 64 Rage LT Pro AGP2X / laptop 1024x768 LCD display

4. Apache : Personnal homepage CGI

5. Abit bp6 dual-celeron and dual-display (linux/X11)

6. FreeBSD 4.8 & Gnome Display Manager

7. SAMBA

8. question about video cards for digital LCD monitors

9. Digital LCD Monitor support under Linux

10. Digital LCD monitor

11. Digital LCD

12. Problem w/ DVI GeForce2 Ultra and Digital LCD Viewsonic VG181