Need Help with ttmkfdir

Post by Gregory I. Haye » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am running RedHat 5.1 and I've just downloaded and installed xfsft copied
a bunch of true type fonts from MS windows to /usr/local/fonts/tt and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttfonts, downloaded and compiled Freetype 1.2, and
downloaded and compiled ttmkfdir. My freetype is located in
/tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and ttmkfdir is located in /tmp/ttmkfdir. I first
went to /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and ran ./configure --enable-static and
then make for freetype. I then went to /tmp/ttmkfdir and changed the first
line of the ttmkfdir Makefile from FREETYPE_BASE=../freetype-1.1 to
FREETYPE_BASE=/tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and then ran make. I assume that
ttmkfdir is to be run from the command line alone? When I do I get the
error:
./ttmkfdir: error in loading shared libraries
libttf.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
The file does exist though. It is in /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and in
/usr/local/lib (I tried a make install once). Can anyone give me a hint at
what I am doing wrong?

Gregory I. Hayes

Need Help with ttmkfdir

Post by anthony » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

No, but I know how your feel. I have tried the same exact thing. True
Type fonts seems to be Black Magic.
I tried this at home to. The README for ttmkdfir says to run the
configure of freetype as ./configure --enable-static but you still end
with up the error about shared libraries. It also says to change the
Makefile to avoid the same problem, but change what? where?????. I
looked at it and changed the gcc to libttf.so, nothing.

All we want is a fonts.scale file for the fonts.dir file. I'm at my wits
end. This should not be that hard.
I tried testing freetype and it was only able to give information about
the ttf.

If someone can shed some light on this or better yet, post a fonts.scale
file for a list of true type fonts would also get us rolling.

thanks,

anthony......

> I am running RedHat 5.1 and I've just downloaded and installed xfsft copied
> a bunch of true type fonts from MS windows to /usr/local/fonts/tt and
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttfonts, downloaded and compiled Freetype 1.2, and
> downloaded and compiled ttmkfdir. My freetype is located in
> /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and ttmkfdir is located in /tmp/ttmkfdir. I first
> went to /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and ran ./configure --enable-static and
> then make for freetype. I then went to /tmp/ttmkfdir and changed the first
> line of the ttmkfdir Makefile from FREETYPE_BASE=../freetype-1.1 to
> FREETYPE_BASE=/tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and then ran make. I assume that
> ttmkfdir is to be run from the command line alone? When I do I get the
> error:
> ./ttmkfdir: error in loading shared libraries
> libttf.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> The file does exist though. It is in /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and in
> /usr/local/lib (I tried a make install once). Can anyone give me a hint at
> what I am doing wrong?

> Gregory I. Hayes

Need Help with ttmkfdir

Post by Gregory I. Haye » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've done some serching and found a binary here:
ftp://ebv.oncology.wisc.edu/pub/linux/truetype/ttmkfdir.gz
I've  just gunzipped and copied it to my /usr/local/fonts/tt directory
(where I copied all my windows 98 tt fonts)  cd 'd there and did a
./ttmkfdir > fonts.scale, and it worked ! Now on with the rest of setting up
of the TT fonts.

Gregory I. Hayes

http://emall-usa.com/greg

>No, but I know how your feel. I have tried the same exact thing. True
>Type fonts seems to be Black Magic.
>I tried this at home to. The README for ttmkdfir says to run the
>configure of freetype as ./configure --enable-static but you still end
>with up the error about shared libraries. It also says to change the
>Makefile to avoid the same problem, but change what? where?????. I
>looked at it and changed the gcc to libttf.so, nothing.

>All we want is a fonts.scale file for the fonts.dir file. I'm at my wits
>end. This should not be that hard.
>I tried testing freetype and it was only able to give information about
>the ttf.

>If someone can shed some light on this or better yet, post a fonts.scale
>file for a list of true type fonts would also get us rolling.

>thanks,

>anthony......

>> I am running RedHat 5.1 and I've just downloaded and installed xfsft
copied
>> a bunch of true type fonts from MS windows to /usr/local/fonts/tt and
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttfonts, downloaded and compiled Freetype 1.2,
and
>> downloaded and compiled ttmkfdir. My freetype is located in
>> /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and ttmkfdir is located in /tmp/ttmkfdir. I
first
>> went to /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and ran ./configure --enable-static
and
>> then make for freetype. I then went to /tmp/ttmkfdir and changed the
first
>> line of the ttmkfdir Makefile from FREETYPE_BASE=../freetype-1.1 to
>> FREETYPE_BASE=/tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and then ran make. I assume that
>> ttmkfdir is to be run from the command line alone? When I do I get the
>> error:
>> ./ttmkfdir: error in loading shared libraries
>> libttf.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> The file does exist though. It is in /tmp/freetype/freetype-1.2 and in
>> /usr/local/lib (I tried a make install once). Can anyone give me a hint
at
>> what I am doing wrong?

>> Gregory I. Hayes

Need Help with ttmkfdir

Post by Joe Barro » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello Greogory,  I am not a Linux guru, so investigate anything I say.  I know
that the Linux utility, ldconfig, is used to set up shared libraries.  ldconfig
will remake /etc/ld.so.cache.  Read up on this to see if it applies.  Just my 1
1/2 cets worth.  Good luck.

--

Jabberwockey