Mouse problem

Post by Julie M. La » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

        When I run startx, it seems to work fine, except that the
mouse doesn't work.  I see the cursor on the screen but moving the
mouse has no effect.  I don't get any error messages.
        My /dev/mouse is linked to ttyS1.  I've tried changing this
but it hasn't made a difference.  Gpm also does not work so I assume
the problem is not with my XF86Config file.  I'm new at this so I
don't know what else to try.  I'd appreciate any ideas.

Mouse problem

Post by Julie M. La » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

        I have narrowed down my problem but I don't know how to fix it.
        First of all, I tried changing /dev/mouse to point to cua0.
this did not work because I discovered that my modem points to cua0.
So I tried cua1 but still no luck.  Then I discovered that when I am
booting up Linux says that my pointing device is a PS/2 and it isn't.
It's a Microsoft 2-button serial mouse.  I am pretty sure that I
specified the correct mouse driver at setup.
        How can I fix this?

Post by tkra.. » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

:       When I run startx, it seems to work fine, except that the
: mouse doesn't work.  I see the cursor on the screen but moving the
: mouse has no effect.  I don't get any error messages.
:       My /dev/mouse is linked to ttyS1.  I've tried changing this
: but it hasn't made a difference.  Gpm also does not work so I assume
: the problem is not with my XF86Config file.  I'm new at this so I
: don't know what else to try.  I'd appreciate any ideas.

But the problem IS in your XF86Config file.  Try changing the listed
protocols.  Examples: Microsoft, MouseSystems, Logitech, etc.

Mouse problem

Post by Brian Timothy HERLI » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

>:   When I run startx, it seems to work fine, except that the
>: mouse doesn't work.  I see the cursor on the screen but moving the
>: mouse has no effect.  I don't get any error messages.
>:   My /dev/mouse is linked to ttyS1.  I've tried changing this
>: but it hasn't made a difference.  Gpm also does not work so I assume
>: the problem is not with my XF86Config file.  I'm new at this so I
>: don't know what else to try.  I'd appreciate any ideas.
>But the problem IS in your XF86Config file.  Try changing the listed
>protocols.  Examples: Microsoft, MouseSystems, Logitech, etc.

Hang on - if gpm isn't working, the problem can't be with Xconfig.  Try
changing the mouse's com port ( I think they're named cua0 = com 1, cua1=
com2, etc.).  Alternatively, the mouse might be set to the wrong type, as
tkramer says, but you'd also have to change it in the system startup files
as well as XF86Config.

Mouse problem

Post by Julie M. La » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

        I have discovered that the mouse is not configured correctly.
Linux thinks it is a PS/2, but it is a Microsoft 2-button serial
mouse.  My XF86Config file is set to use the Microsoft protocol.
        I think I need to go the route of changing the system setup
files but I need to know which files and what to change.  Thanks.

[...]

Post by John Davi » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

I had a similar problem.  I commented out the installation of gpm in (I
think) /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Since then, my mouse works as intended in X.

Good luck, and please post your solution,

John

--

John Davis
Mathematics & Computer Science

Pursue the light of truth guided by the lamp of wisdom.