Inspiron 8000 with ATI Rage 128 Mobility -- external monitor refresh rates

Inspiron 8000 with ATI Rage 128 Mobility -- external monitor refresh rates

Post by E. Joshua Rigle » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:35:41

How can I force a specified refresh rate for an external monitor on a
Dell Inspiron 8000 with the ATI Rage 128 Mobility (M4), with RH-7.1,
using XFree86-4.0.3?  I can switch to the external monitor just fine
using "Fn-F8", but it is always at a 60Hz refresh rate.  This is a
little * the eyes.

Editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, I've tried setting up a specific
"Modeline", with the name "1400x1050crt", using the same specs that I
know work for a desktop ATI Rage 128 card and the same monitor.  I make
it one of the options in the "Screen" section of the config file, and
try to switch to it using "ctl-alt-(keypad)+".  This didn't work, I
still got 60 Hz refresh rates.  This is the case whether I am in
internal/external monitor mode, or in external only mode.

A very closely related issue is that I can't seem to force a modeline
for 1024x768, so that I might drive an older LCD projector.

I've spent nearly an entire afternoon looking over the net.  There's
been a lot of discussion of older ATI cards, and with XFree86-3, but I
haven't been able to find an acceptable solution for my setup.  Is there
one?  Do newer versions of XFree86 fix these problems?  Is there an
affordable commercial X server that might fix these problems?

Thanks,

-EJR

Inspiron 8000 with ATI Rage 128 Mobility -- external monitor refresh rates

Post by Edward Ned Harve » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:48:58

I can't tell you how to change the refresh rate on your screen, but I am
able to get a 1024x768 modeline with the following XF86Config-4 file (You
can pick out the modeline file yourself):

for 1024x768
http://www.veryComputer.com/
If you want 1280x960, see
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> How can I force a specified refresh rate for an external monitor on a
> Dell Inspiron 8000 with the ATI Rage 128 Mobility (M4), with RH-7.1,
> using XFree86-4.0.3?  I can switch to the external monitor just fine
> using "Fn-F8", but it is always at a 60Hz refresh rate.  This is a
> little * the eyes.

> Editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, I've tried setting up a specific
> "Modeline", with the name "1400x1050crt", using the same specs that I
> know work for a desktop ATI Rage 128 card and the same monitor.  I make
> it one of the options in the "Screen" section of the config file, and
> try to switch to it using "ctl-alt-(keypad)+".  This didn't work, I
> still got 60 Hz refresh rates.  This is the case whether I am in
> internal/external monitor mode, or in external only mode.

> A very closely related issue is that I can't seem to force a modeline
> for 1024x768, so that I might drive an older LCD projector.

> I've spent nearly an entire afternoon looking over the net.  There's
> been a lot of discussion of older ATI cards, and with XFree86-3, but I
> haven't been able to find an acceptable solution for my setup.  Is there
> one?  Do newer versions of XFree86 fix these problems?  Is there an
> affordable commercial X server that might fix these problems?

> Thanks,

> -EJR

Inspiron 8000 with ATI Rage 128 Mobility -- external monitor refresh rates

Post by ?yvind Gjerst » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 19:04:45

Quote:> How can I force a specified refresh rate for an external monitor on a
> Dell Inspiron 8000 with the ATI Rage 128 Mobility (M4), with RH-7.1,
> using XFree86-4.0.3?  I can switch to the external monitor just fine
> using "Fn-F8", but it is always at a 60Hz refresh rate.  This is a
> little * the eyes.

With 4.0.3 I beleive you can use Option "UseBIOSDisplay" in XF86Config.
From 4.1.0 you use Option "Display" "BIOS".
Both should be in the Device section.

At least that worked for me using a docking station.
--
?yvind Gjerstad  Systems dept DFDS Tollpost-Globe AS  N-6301 ?ndalsnes/Norway

Post by Jim Co » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:45:27

>>How can I force a specified refresh rate for an external monitor on a
>>Dell Inspiron 8000 with the ATI Rage 128 Mobility (M4), with RH-7.1,
>>using XFree86-4.0.3?  I can switch to the external monitor just fine
>>using "Fn-F8", but it is always at a 60Hz refresh rate.  This is a
>>little * the eyes.

> With 4.0.3 I beleive you can use Option "UseBIOSDisplay" in XF86Config.
> From 4.1.0 you use Option "Display" "BIOS".
> Both should be in the Device section.

> At least that worked for me using a docking station.

After many, many hours spent on this problem, and many of those spent
reading documentation on my monitor at sub-50 refresh-rates, I found
this juicy tidbit in the ati driver documentation:

http://www.veryComputer.com/#16

I'm using XFree86 4.0.2, but this looks like a driver-specific option
and should be somewhat portable to later versions. Namely, in the Device
section for your ati card, use

Option "crt_screen"

Which causes the card to drive the external monitor only if both
external and native panel displays are detected.

I used sax2 to create a monitor, screen, and modes for the config file,
and now I'm happily chugging along at depth 16, 1024x768 and a blazing
refresh rate somewhere well above 60.

Cheers,
Jim

Inspiron 8000 with ATI Rage 128 Mobility -- external monitor refresh rates

Post by rich » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 17:12:28

I don't suppose you could post a copy of that XF86Config file, eh?

Rich

Quote:> After many, many hours spent on this problem, and many of those spent