How do I run a prgram on the background (root window)?

How do I run a prgram on the background (root window)?

Post by Sea » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:05:57

I used to know how to do this. There's just a command line option that
makes a program (xeyes, for example) use the root window under X, but
I can't remember what it is?

Thanks in advance, Sean

How do I run a prgram on the background (root window)?

Post by Bit Twiste » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:26:29

Quote:> I used to know how to do this. There's just a command line option that
> makes a program (xeyes, for example) use the root window under X, but
> I can't remember what it is?

Was it something like

su -l root
export DISPLAY=:0.0
nohup xeyes &

How do I run a prgram on the background (root window)?

Post by Sean McName » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:59:41

No - that's running as USER root.
I was reffering to having the program's gui on the root display (or root
window).
But thanks for the reply.

>>I used to know how to do this. There's just a command line option that
>>makes a program (xeyes, for example) use the root window under X, but
>>I can't remember what it is?

>Was it something like

>su -l root
>export DISPLAY=:0.0
>nohup xeyes &

1. Problem Running X-Windows (only root runs)

Hello!

I've installed recently the X11 (Release 6.3) that came with the PPC
Linux Release 4. The computer is a PowerMac G3, and was installed with
the Red Hat Distribution.

Running "startx" as root, works fine, but if I try to access using any
of the regular users account, I get this:

Fatal Server Error
Xpmac: Server must be setuid -root
Xconnection to: 0.0 broken (explicit kill or xserver shutdown)

I've been searching the man, but I've found nothing useful. Please,
help!

Thanks in advance

jose

2. info for setup kdm in kde 2.2?

3. Running Dos in background

4. Passwords

5. Q: Root window, backgrounds & efficiency

6. pump / dhcp and RCN cable network

7. root window background from a jpg/gif

8. Toshiba T2150CDT and Internal Mouse

9. Background root window image

10. Grabbing root window background images

11. running an X windows process in background through ssh

12. Sending jobs running to the background (running) e.g. ftp

13. Controlling what window manager runs in root...