XTerm login not recorded in utmp....

Post by Andrew J. Robins » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> When I start XTerm, nobosy sees that I have logged in ?

Check to be sure that utmp is writable by xterm.  Since utmp is usually not
world-writable, xterm generally needs to be setuid root.

--

http://www.cnj.digex.net/~robinson

XTerm login not recorded in utmp....

Post by Pomorski centar za elektroni » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
When I start XTerm, nobosy sees that I have logged in ?

Not who, nor finger helps.................

What could be the problem ?

Thanx

Drazen

Post by Andreas Muc » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> > When I start XTerm, nobosy sees that I have logged in ?

> Check to be sure that utmp is writable by xterm.  Since utmp is usually not
> world-writable, xterm generally needs to be setuid root.

Try also starting xterm with the -ls or the +ut option.

Andi
--
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

XTerm login not recorded in utmp....

Post by Jake K » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>When I start XTerm, nobosy sees that I have logged in ?

>Not who, nor finger helps.................

>What could be the problem ?

>Thanx

>Drazen

Possible that you have "xterm -ut" instead of "xterm +ut"?

--
Jake Kim                                      http://www.cloud9.net/~guitar

1. xterm logins and utmp problem

It seems that various people have the same problem but I have not
yet seen some effective answer.

When closing an xterm, the finger and who commands continue to
show a user connected to a certain tty.
Moreover, it shows multpile intances of that tty.
If a user logs in and uses the same tty remained by mistake from
another user, he can even accept ``talk'' calls, while the
``who am i'' command reports him as another.

Is it a utmp updating problem?

By the way, the ``w'' command works fine. (???)

These problems appeared to me after upgrading to kernel 2.0.x
according to the instructions mentioning
libc, procps, binutils e.t.c.

Can someone please give us a hint?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Theodore Kaskalis

2. LILO/MBR screwed

3. xterms not updating utmp

4. valgrind URL

5. motd

6. Xterms not cleaning up utmp properly / Telnet woes

7. SSI with Apache1.3b6

8. Why does xterm not put in a utmp entry?

9. xterm not updating utmp on exit

10. Xterm not finding /etc/utmp

11. Login without login getting recorded into last login file

12. wtmp/utmp not registering login