On-board ATI Rage Pro in dual-head configuration

On-board ATI Rage Pro in dual-head configuration

Post by Jim Bo » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have a Voodoo3 2000 installed in my Dell OptiPlex GX1, which also has an
on-board ATI Rage Pro.  I've installed RedHat 6.1 and XFree86 4.0.  Win98
sees both adapters and runs fine multi-headed, but the ati driver for X
can't seem to see the on-board adapter, even though a PCI scan does see it.
The ati driver tries to use the Voodoo3 card.  Here's what comes out on
stderr for the PCI scan:

and after loading a bunch of other modules:

(II) TDFX: Driver for 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3 chipsets: 3dfx Banshee, 3dfx
Voodoo3
(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 5.3.2) for chipsets: ati,ativga
(--) Chipset 3dfx Voodoo3 found
(WW) ATI: PCI/AGP VGA-compatible in slot 0:13:0 could not be detected! See
README.ati for details.

and after initializing the TDFX card and loading still more modules I get
this:

(EE) ATI(1): Unable to correctly read adapter BIOS.
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o

Here's my Device section from my XF86Config file:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "tdfx"
    Driver        "tdfx"
    BusID        "PCI:0:13:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "ati"
    Driver        "ati"
    BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
    ChipSet    "mach64"
EndSection

What am I doing wrong here?

Post by Adam K Kirchhof » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have a Voodoo3 2000 installed in my Dell OptiPlex GX1, which also has an
> on-board ATI Rage Pro.  I've installed RedHat 6.1 and XFree86 4.0.  Win98
> sees both adapters and runs fine multi-headed, but the ati driver for X
> can't seem to see the on-board adapter, even though a PCI scan does see it.
> The ati driver tries to use the Voodoo3 card.  Here's what comes out on
> stderr for the PCI scan:

> and after loading a bunch of other modules:
> (II) TDFX: Driver for 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3 chipsets: 3dfx Banshee, 3dfx
> Voodoo3
> (II) ATI: ATI driver (version 5.3.2) for chipsets: ati,ativga
> (--) Chipset 3dfx Voodoo3 found
> (WW) ATI: PCI/AGP VGA-compatible in slot 0:13:0 could not be detected! See
> README.ati for details.
> and after initializing the TDFX card and loading still more modules I get
> this:
> (EE) ATI(1): Unable to correctly read adapter BIOS.
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o
> Here's my Device section from my XF86Config file:
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier    "tdfx"
>     Driver        "tdfx"
>     BusID        "PCI:0:13:0"
> EndSection
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier    "ati"
>     Driver        "ati"
>     BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
>     ChipSet    "mach64"
> EndSection
> What am I doing wrong here?

In my experience, ATI chipsets don't like being a secondary head in a multihead system under XFree86 4.0...
When booting your computer, are you initializing the ATI, or have to told the BIOS not to initialize it?

Adam

--

1. On-board ATI Rage-II

Hi,

Until recently the vertical refresh rate for my ATI Rage-II driver would not
go up beyond a most irritating 60-something Hz at a decsent resolution so I
went out and bought a cheap PCI video card for the IBM Aptiva. After a
reboot it seemed the refresh rate did go to a comforting 76 Hz as it shoud
according to the setting so I basically waisted my 62 Euros. Still, it
seems like a nice card that would enable me to use even higher resolutions
in true color with higher refresh rates and gain a lot of snappyness at the
same time (the monitor is top notch and could easily handle it). So I
wanted to have a go with it anyway. It is a GeForce4 MX440 64MB from AOpen.

But the trouble is, if I plug it in, the PC won't boot. I apperently have a
low-level hardware conflict with the on board ATI chip. The GeForce
signature flashes on the screen momentarily at startup but it all goes
black and silent after that, I do not even get into the boot loader screen,

I haven't found a way to physically disable the on-board ATI, their is no
BIOS setting that allows me to do this and (apparently) no jumper on the
motherboard for this either (IBM Aptiva 200MMX). To make things even more
complicated, I am not willing to bluntly clip out the ATI chip :-).

Does anyone have experience in this field, perhaps a trick to pass this?

Martin.

2. PLIP mod won't load - kernel 2.2.5 i386

3. Not work X-Window on ATI Fury Pro (chipset ATI Rage 128 Pro)

4. Killing Process in Apache

5. LanConnection IBM4033 and 2 AIX-Servers

6. keyboard mapping in XFree86 4.02

7. Dual head with ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x

8. ati rage pro on board, can't make it find my voodoo3 2000 PCI

9. 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra (Rage 128 Pro Ultra)

10. XFree86: ATI Rage II & Rage PRO ?

11. ATI Rage 3D Rage Pro and XFree86 4.1.0 problems