Need help with KDE installation.

Post by Ken McDonal » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Just got Debian and X running on my Dell laptop yesterday, now of course
I would
like to get KDE up and running to try it out. I downloaded the set of
KDE .deb
packages and did appropriate "dpkg -i" installs on them (making sure to
follow
the instructions in the README file that accompanies the distro).
Unfortunately,
things still ain't working for me, and I hope someone can clarify why.

First, I noticed that at least one file in the KDE distro (kdebase) was
actually present
in two differently dated versions--a July release, and a much later,
significantly
larger release. I downloaded and installed the latter, under the
assumption that
it was a bugfix version. Note that both of these files belonged to the
same KDE
distro--they were just _dated_ differently. Did I do the right thing?

By the way, this is "hamm" Debian.

So, after the installation, I tried running kde with "startkde", and got
a bunch of
messages to the effect that "libksuchandsuch.so.2" can't be found. Went
into
/usr/X11R6/lib and found out all my kde libs were named
"libksuchandsuch.so.1"
(i.e. a trailing 1 instead of a trailing 2), so I put in links to fix
this and tried again.
Same problem. So, in spite of the fact that the README said this should
_not_
be necessary with ELF linux (i.e. anything except very old linuces), I
set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/X11R6/lib (actually I set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
_to_ this, since it was empty before--guess nothing else needs it.) Now
I got
a different error message, something like "Can't find
somethinglib++.so.whatever"--
i.e. it is complaining about something other than a kde lib. (Not a qt
lib, I do have
qt 1.33 installed.)

So I could keep hacking away (and probably will, tomorrow), but at this
point,
I've run into enough trouble to make me think I'm probably doing
something wrong.
Can anyone give me any hints? I'd really like to try out KDE.

Please email any suggestions to:

Thanks for all the help!

Ken McDonald

Need help with KDE installation.

Post by Mediocrate » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Firstly it's not a good idea to lump in standard X distribution
software with KDE stuff in your installation directory. Ie it would be
preferable to install it in another directory like /usr/local/kde
instead of into /usr/X11R6, this way it's much easier to pinpoint the
problem, and if necessary delete it. Secondly, you will need to install
a package called Qt. This is probably what you're getting errors about.
Without it KDE won't run (you could be a bit more specific about which
libraries it says you're missing).

                        Hope this helps,

                                        Matt.

1. Need KDE help. KDE keeps stopping

I installed Redhat 6 and then upgraded my KDE to 1.1.2 in the hopes
of eliminating this problem.  It seems as though after awhile KDE
starts to pause when doing operations.  It starts out fast and peppy,
and then slowly seems to slow down.  I can then click on an icon and
have nothing happen, then "BOOM", the program starts executing.
I'm not referring to Netscape or Staroffice.  I have 128MB of
RAM and an additional 128MB of swap (which I know is working
looking at the free output).  Any ideas.??  Also I'm running
Accelerated X 5 with all the patches.   Gnome runs like a champ
on my system, but I'd like to give KDE an even shot at winning.

Bernie B.

2. SCO PE3 drivers in linux?

3. installation of KDE 1.1.2 over KDE 1.1.1

4. How useful Satan in nowadays?

5. Help: installation of Qt to use KDE

6. upgrading to Mesa 4.0.2 on RH7

7. KDE installation help

8. printing: NT->Linux printer needs ppp running

9. Help!Problem with KDE installation

10. Installation help with KDE

11. help: KDE user... can't complete installation

12. Help: Redhat 5.2 and KDE installation