Gettinf rid of Gnome's default black-on'grey icons texts...

Gettinf rid of Gnome's default black-on'grey icons texts...

Post by Guy Par » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

        There are several apps floating around such as 'Transparent'
and 'Disappear 98' to make Windoze 9x look nicer by getting rid of the
blocks of desktop-color behind the icon text labels.  I really dislike
Gnome's black-on-grey labels, and I was wondering if there's any way
to change it to, say, white-on-black?  I don't care how complicated it
is.  After all, that's all part of learning about Linux, so if anyone
has any idea I would be grateful to hear from you.
     TIA...

Gettinf rid of Gnome's default black-on'grey icons texts...

Post by Bit Twist » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Click around on your desktop/icons until you see    enlightenment
and see what you can see. I was able to do what you want.
Sorry, cannot remember actual steps, switched to kde.

Quote:>After all, that's all part of learning about Linux, so if anyone

Yes, Right, Left, Middle clicking on everything and playing with
everthing found will improve your productivity.

--
The warrenty and liability expired as you read the message.
Do a,  man every_command_here, before doing anything else.

Gettinf rid of Gnome's default black-on'grey icons texts...

Post by QuestionExchang » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hey there. i too am picky about the looks of mu desktop
in gnome open up the gnome explorer (just double click your
home directory icon) then go to the options and select "shaped
icon text"
violla there go the ugly boxes!!

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...

Post by Phillip Deack » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Hey there. i too am picky about the looks of mu desktop
>in gnome open up the gnome explorer (just double click your
>home directory icon) then go to the options and select "shaped
>icon text"
>violla there go the ugly boxes!!

Yeah, I discovered this one some time ago, Not helpful though when your
background is dark - there appears to be no way to change the text
colour.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000

1. 'shaped icons/shaped text' in Gnome question

     If 'shaped icons' gets rid of the grey squares from Gnome icons
and 'shaped text' removes the ugly grey background behind the black
text below Gnome icons, how can you make that text *white* so you can
have a dark image as your wallpaper and still be able to read your
icon titles?  I presume there's a file you can edit?
     tia...

2. Networking in Linux

3. 'shaped icons/shaped text' in Gnome...

4. ciao

5. Newbie: 'ifup eth0' followed by GNOME logout causes gray screen

6. Is libc's |malloc()| MPSS-aware ?

7. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

8. no bios, motherboard toasted?

9. gnome default home directory for 'root'

10. can't get rid of desktop icon

11. black bible - cleo's new 'goth box'

12. Can't get rid of Gnome Help Browser