xf86 3.3.2 & Matrox G200 only does 320x200

xf86 3.3.2 & Matrox G200 only does 320x200

Post by Dale Kin » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm just trying to get started in the world of Linux and have installed
RedHat 5.1, which has version 3.3.2-15 of xfree86, I believe. I have a
Matrox Millenium G200 in my AGP slot. I have tried tweaking everything I
can in my XF86Config file, but when I startx it comes up in 320x200
mode. It won't let me switch using the ctrl-alt-+ either.

I have noticed that startx puts out messages about finding the Matrox
card (which I believe is supposed to be auto-detected by the SVGA
driver), but says that its chipset is unknown and later says it is using
the generic chipset. I tried setting the Chipset in the Device section
to mga2164w but that gives an error as well.

I realize my problem may be that I am using an older version of RH, but
unfortunately that is what I have on CD-ROM. I would like to go ahead
and get that going before trying to update. Besides I don't have a good
way to go to RedHat 6.1 short of buying it, which I'm not quite ready to
commit to yet. I've tried actually bringing my Syquest drive to work and
downloading it at work, but I can't seem to successfully download it.

I have tried just getting a later version of XFree86, but I don't have
the latest versions of other libraries that they depend on. I'm not
experienced enough with RPM's and Linux yet to resolve these problems.

Any advice?
--
 --- Dale King

xf86 3.3.2 & Matrox G200 only does 320x200

Post by ne.. » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm just trying to get started in the world of Linux and have installed
>RedHat 5.1, which has version 3.3.2-15 of xfree86, I believe. I have a
>Matrox Millenium G200 in my AGP slot. I have tried tweaking everything I
>can in my XF86Config file, but when I startx it comes up in 320x200
>mode. It won't let me switch using the ctrl-alt-+ either.

It is entirely possible that the SVGA server in 3.3.2 does
not support your video card.

Quote:>I realize my problem may be that I am using an older version of RH, but
>unfortunately that is what I have on CD-ROM. I would like to go ahead
>and get that going before trying to update. Besides I don't have a good
>way to go to RedHat 6.1 short of buying it, which I'm not quite ready to
>commit to yet. I've tried actually bringing my Syquest drive to work and
>downloading it at work, but I can't seem to successfully download it.

>I have tried just getting a later version of XFree86, but I don't have
>the latest versions of other libraries that they depend on. I'm not
>experienced enough with RPM's and Linux yet to resolve these problems.

>Any advice?

Yep. Upgrade to a newer version of Linux. You do not have
to spend a great deal of money. In the US, go to CheapBytes
and grab RH6.1 for $1.99 +shipping... Total is $6.99 if I
remember rightly...

--
Collaboration, n.:
        A literary partnership based on the false assumption that the

Post by James Tappi » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I'm just trying to get started in the world of Linux and have installed
> RedHat 5.1, which has version 3.3.2-15 of xfree86, I believe. I have a
> Matrox Millenium G200 in my AGP slot. I have tried tweaking everything I
> can in my XF86Config file, but when I startx it comes up in 320x200
> mode. It won't let me switch using the ctrl-alt-+ either.

> I have noticed that startx puts out messages about finding the Matrox
> card (which I believe is supposed to be auto-detected by the SVGA
> driver), but says that its chipset is unknown and later says it is using
> the generic chipset. I tried setting the Chipset in the Device section
> to mga2164w but that gives an error as well.

> I realize my problem may be that I am using an older version of RH, but
> unfortunately that is what I have on CD-ROM. I would like to go ahead
> and get that going before trying to update. Besides I don't have a good
> way to go to RedHat 6.1 short of buying it, which I'm not quite ready to
> commit to yet. I've tried actually bringing my Syquest drive to work and
> downloading it at work, but I can't seem to successfully download it.

> I have tried just getting a later version of XFree86, but I don't have
> the latest versions of other libraries that they depend on. I'm not
> experienced enough with RPM's and Linux yet to resolve these problems.

> Any advice?

Certainly with the G400 at least 3.3.5  is needed, not sure of the G200
was supported in 3.3.4 but I'm pretty sure that 3.3.2 it too old. So you need
to upgrade your XF 86 -- may as well go the whole hog and get 3.3.6

James

--
James Tappin,               O__      "I forget the punishment for using

http://www.xena.uklinux.net/          with data loss in it I fancy"

xf86 3.3.2 & Matrox G200 only does 320x200

Post by Dale Kin » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Well, I was able to get it working by upgrading from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3. The
problem with going to 3.3.6 is that it required upgrading the rest of
Linux to glibc 2.1.

That said, I have decided to abandon Linux and stick with Windoze for
the time being. My major problem is that there is just too much of my
hardware that won't work under Linux. I of course have a winmodem and a
USB scanner that are not usable. So unless I at least buy a new modem I
can't do much.

It is a shame, since I do hold Linux in high regard. Hopefully someday
these hardware incompatibilities will be solved. In the hope that there
is a solution to the modem, my modem is a Rockwell HCF 56K PCI Data Fax
Modem.

There also needs to be a Quicken for Linux, although I uderstand that
Quicken will run under wine.