Lap top serial port to terminal emulater HOW TO SETUP???

Lap top serial port to terminal emulater HOW TO SETUP???

Post by Robin Jacks » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I want to remotely manage my Linux laptop (hide it under a desk).

I am having trouble at present doing this via XWindows and telnet SO I
thought I would try a standard serial terminal emulater to the serial port
on the laptop.

BUT I am *ed if I can make the terminal emulater talk to the linux box
(or it could be the other way around??).

Any help or pointers would be gratefully recieved.

Robin

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> BUT I am *ed if I can make the terminal emulater talk to the
> linux box

I have the following commented lines in my /etc/inittab :

# Serial lines
#s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS0 vt100
#s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS1 vt100

I haven't tried it, but I suppose that if those get uncommented you
should be able to connect vt100 terminals to the serial ports running at
19200 bps.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

1. Need to setup a terminal that monitors serial port

I am running Solaris 2.5 on a Sparc 5.  I would like to know if there is
any software available that will emulate an ansi terminal similar to that
of Terminal in Windows.  We have a microprocessor based data system that we
would like to attach to a serial port so that we can monitor it's boot
sequence which is ascii text.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Netscape might bundle Linux to compete with NT

3. set-up for mac 2 linux serial-port terminal?

4. Looking for or founding Lug in Ingolstadt/Germany

5. LAP TOP QUESTION

6. More of JS PL's so called VINDICATED

7. Silly old lap top

8. Set effective uid?

9. Lap top for Linux

10. I research an IBM 3151 Terminal Emulater pour Pc under Win95

11. X on a Lap-Top with LCD graphics (VGA gray scale)

12. Need info on Dell Lap-Top running SCO

13. recommendation for Linux-friendly lap-top sought