mouse problems

Post by no on » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:26:40

I just installed debian 2.2. All went well except for a persistant mouse
problem. Whenever I start x, the mouse doesn't respond properly -- it moves
to the upper rt corner of the screen ,and then stays there. I upgraded to
xfree86 4.2 and compiled kernel 2.4.18. My xf86config-4 file (which worked
fine in red had7.2) looks kindof like this (i'm writing this from memory,
because I'm not at home right now, so this may not be 100% accurate)

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" 0,0

I've tried changing the device to /deb/psaux, but then the pointer doesn't
respond at all. I've also tried changing protocol to auto, but I get an
error saying that x can't deterimine the mouse protocol. I suppose the
problem could be with the kernel as well, since I could have screwed up when
I configured it. What things should I look for in the kernel menuconfig. Oh
btw, my mouse is a two button intellimouse with a wheel, which is probably
obvious by the config. Thanks in advance.

mouse problems

Post by D. Stimit » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:45:22

> I just installed debian 2.2. All went well except for a persistant mouse
> problem. Whenever I start x, the mouse doesn't respond properly -- it moves
> to the upper rt corner of the screen ,and then stays there. I upgraded to
> xfree86 4.2 and compiled kernel 2.4.18. My xf86config-4 file (which worked
> fine in red had7.2) looks kindof like this (i'm writing this from memory,
> because I'm not at home right now, so this may not be 100% accurate)

> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" 0,0

Just for fun, try changing the ZAxisMapping to:
Option "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"

See if that works. If not, try getting the mouse working first without
scroll features; change it from IMPS/2 to PS/2 and comment out
ZAxisMapping. Once that works, introduce the scroll features.

Quote:

> I've tried changing the device to /deb/psaux, but then the pointer doesn't

Typo? /deb/ should be /dev/, probably that is what you meant, if not,
bingo.

Quote:> respond at all. I've also tried changing protocol to auto, but I get an
> error saying that x can't deterimine the mouse protocol. I suppose the
> problem could be with the kernel as well, since I could have screwed up when
> I configured it. What things should I look for in the kernel menuconfig. Oh
> btw, my mouse is a two button intellimouse with a wheel, which is probably
> obvious by the config. Thanks in advance.

Use /dev/psaux if it is a ps/2 mouse connector. The /dev/mouse should be
a symbolic link to whatever your real mouse is (psaux if it is ps/2,
else possibly a ttyS# if a serial port mouse, maybe something else if
USB).