Matrox Millennium and SVGAlib

Post by Steven Engelhard » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

After installing Slackware 3.1 and changing a countless number of
things, I tried using multiple SVGAlib programs such as zgv and
sasteroids.  The Matrox chipset, being obviously not natively supported,
was detected as an unknown Oak chipset and my monitor switched into
power saving mode as if it was not receiving a signal from the video
card.  After editing /etc/vga/libvga.config and uncommenting VGA (to
just have regular VGA support) the same thing happened.  I even
redownloaded and compiled SVGAlib off of sunsite, to no avail.

When I earlier had RedHat 4.1 installed (changed back to slackware ...
personal preference) SVGAlib was working correctly.  I never had the
opportunity to see what RedHat 4.1's SVGAlib had different from
Slackware's.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or might offer a solution?
Anything from posting a working RedHat 4.1's libvga.config (for
comparison) or some other suggestion would be extremely useful.

If you answer this question on the newsgroup, please also mail me a copy
of the answer to insure that I receive it.  Thank you very much.

Steven Engelhardt