Linux, Supra288iPNP modem, Non PNP Bios?

Linux, Supra288iPNP modem, Non PNP Bios?

Post by Jason A. Coo » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Greetings folks,

I am checking out Unix and Linux in particular on my 1993 486.
I recently got a SupraExpress288iPNP modem and after trying to
get it work for the last 3 days, I have come for help.

This is the problem as I see it -
The modem requires a driver to be loaded at boot time in DOS
for it to be used with my old non-PNP BIOS (legacy as they
refer to it).  There doesn't seem to be a corresponding driver
for Linux.

I set up the  modem IRQ and COM port in Linux
and tried Minicom.  Minicom can dial the number given and the remote
end answers and all thenoise starts.  However, Minicom never
achieves the connection.

So, I seek yor input,  what's up here?  Is my Linux setup off,
or is my suspicion of the legacy driver correct?  Any ideas
on how to get around this?

I am using Slackare 3.0 and installed the 1.2.13 kernel.

Thanks for any help
JAC

Linux, Supra288iPNP modem, Non PNP Bios?

Post by Brian Ka » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Jason-

I'm afraid this won't be much help.  I'm in the same boat.

I just got a 288i PnP and Win95 loved it!  Then I tried using it with
Linux...no luck at all.  Since there is no way to configure the com
port or IRQ on the modem itself, I just tried to use the settigns that
Win95 used: com4 and IRQ 12.  Well that didn't work.

You say you actually got to access the modem?  How?  What com port and
IRQ did you use?  What settings did you put in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.serial file for the com port to make it work?  I use
Dialer to access my PPP connection.  It couldn't access the device.
And Linux doesn't think that the device exists.

Well, if anyone out there has dealt with this and can help:  I have a
AMD DX4/100 with an AMI BIOS from 1994.  I boot from a floppy with
Linux.  I am using Slackare 2.3 and the 1.2.13 kernel.

Any help appreciated!!
Thanks,
Brian

Post by Steve Walk » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Jason-
>I'm afraid this won't be much help.  I'm in the same boat.
>I just got a 288i PnP and Win95 loved it!  Then I tried using it with
>Linux...no luck at all.  Since there is no way to configure the com
>port or IRQ on the modem itself, I just tried to use the settigns that
>Win95 used: com4 and IRQ 12.  Well that didn't work.
>You say you actually got to access the modem?  How?  What com port and
>IRQ did you use?  What settings did you put in your
>/etc/rc.d/rc.serial file for the com port to make it work?  I use
>Dialer to access my PPP connection.  It couldn't access the device.
>And Linux doesn't think that the device exists.

Okie...here's how I've solved my PnP problems..(With the Supra 288i)
I'm running a Linux system at home with that modem, and at first it
didn't recognize it...so, in order to set it up I decided to find a
way to make it work(obviously):)
I made myself a tiny 3 MB Primary Dos partition (Make it in the first
1024 cylinders) Then, I added the Supra Legacy systems support it
details in your manual. I told it where I wanted the modem to be.
(Note here that Supra does want at least 3MB to install thier stuff,
so I actually installed the software on another partition, then copied
the driver, etc to the little DOS partition later)
Now, I boot that DOS partition, it loads the driver, (and some others
too, to set my software configurable stuff up), then the last line in
the autoexec.bat uses Loadlin to start Linux (Loadlin
C:\Loadlin\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro)

This also gives an added advantage that if I wanna play with a new
kernel, and it pukes, I can always use another older kernel image I've
put there and renamed minez to boot.

Steve Walker

1. pnp modems without pnp bios

I have a Dell 486dx4 100. It doesn't know about PlugNplay because
it is several years old. I bought a PnP motorola modem that works
under msdos. At boot time (booting msdos) a little program checks
for pnp components and assigns them IRQ 's  and addresses. Fine.
But now I would like to run linux communication programs. Linux
doesn't know what irq to use because the modem doesn't have one.
As I am a linux infant, and having read the friendly manual to no
avail, I'm asking you gurus out there what approach to take. I have
considered these:
 1. boot up dos; then ctrl-alt-del back to lilo. maybe the modem
    will remember its IRQ.
 2. run dosemu, then run the pnp configuration program. Will dosemu
    work for this? and then go back to linux and try to configure
    linux for communication.
Having linux for 2 days, and not knowing much at all about linux/unix,
I'd like some advice before I go messing everthing up.

2. USB printing and Slackware 8.1 crashes

3. Can Linux use ISA PnP cards if the system has a "PnP Bios" ?

4. maxbuf (again, I know ;-)

5. Non PNP OS Setting in BIOS

6. masquerading with dynamically assigned IP-adr

7. Should isa-pnp utilize the PnP BIOS?

8. apache 1.2b6 dosen't see my cgi-bin directory?

9. SB16 PnP without PnP Bios

10. Should isa-pnp utilize the PnP BIOS?

11. PNP SoundBlaster 16 with Pentium II PNP Bios?

12. pnp card with no pnp bios

13. pnp - PnP BIOS Updates (6/13)