cups and hp5740 problem

Post by jwc » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:54:07

Hi,
        I have a hp 5740 deskjet installed on my slackware 10.2 system. The
        printer works on all the applications that I have tried except cups.
        Using cups the printing jobs are spooled but the first page comes out
        with a cryptic one line message beginning with %!PS-ADOBE-3.0 and then
        blank pages come out until I turn off the printer. Other graphics
        applications such as xv and image-magic handle graphics files properly.

        I have the most recent hpijs package installed and cups recognizes
        the printer and prints a test page ok.

Any help would be appreciated, JWC

cups and hp5740 problem

Post by david walcrof » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:52:09

> Hi,
>    I have a hp 5740 deskjet installed on my slackware 10.2 system. The
>    printer works on all the applications that I have tried except cups.
>    Using cups the printing jobs are spooled but the first page comes out
>    with a cryptic one line message beginning with %!PS-ADOBE-3.0 and then
>    blank pages come out until I turn off the printer. Other graphics
>    applications such as xv and image-magic handle graphics files properly.

>         I have the most recent hpijs package installed and cups recognizes
>         the printer and prints a test page ok.

> Any help would be appreciated, JWC

Have you tried restarting Cups and Hplip [sudo service cups restart]

david

cups and hp5740 problem

Post by jwc » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:34:56

>> Hi,
>>        I have a hp 5740 deskjet installed on my slackware 10.2 system. The
>>        printer works on all the applications that I have tried except cups.
>>        Using cups the printing jobs are spooled but the first page comes out
>>        with a cryptic one line message beginning with %!PS-ADOBE-3.0 and then
>>        blank pages come out until I turn off the printer. Other graphics
>>        applications such as xv and image-magic handle graphics files properly.

>>         I have the most recent hpijs package installed and cups recognizes
>>         the printer and prints a test page ok.

>> Any help would be appreciated, JWC

> Have you tried restarting Cups and Hplip [sudo service cups restart]

> david

The post right above this one is the corrected version of what I was
trying to say. Sorry for the confusion.
JWC

1. Cups problems... always cups problems....

Hi,

I installed a Mandrake 7.2 gateway on my LAN (as a print server and many
more fonctions)

I'm fed up with cups, and what the hell did we do to be obliged to use this
shit, to see Samba working properly ?

Here is one of my problems : Cups always see a printer I have NEVER
configured, and the more I delete it using http://www.host.ld:631, the more
it creates new "virtual" printers I never asked for.

Then, I cannot use the other "good" printer (always seen as stopped on the
web interface)

You know, i'm still at the beginner level using RPM to install new
components... so :

I tried removing all packages (cups, cups-drivers, samba, samba-common,
samba-client) all config files and directories (/var/spool/cups, /etc/cups,
/etc/smb.conf, /etc/printcap, etc/etcaetera.... :), I even tried lots of
different versions of those components..... I killed daemons, I even
rebooted........ WHAT THE HELL CAN I DO TO DELETE THOSE PRINTERS ???!!!!

If anyone knows exactly which files I should edit/delete, please anwer my
request, or else I... or else I... or else I install a Windows NT server
box instead !!

Thx

2. Samba mount has zero permission

3. CUPS packaging: .cups not -cups

4. Changing permissions directory wide

5. Problem installing cups and cups-libs rpm packages

6. kdevelop: unresolved references on own files

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. changing a variable to lowercase/uppercase

9. CUPS from Ports working, cups from src not

10. CUPS printer hangs after inactivity, requires CUPS restart

11. CUPS failure: pstoraster can't find device cups

12. CUPS : /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb backend missing?

13. newbie problem CUPS lokkit firewall web browser problem