Is anyone using 250MB Zip drives?

Post by Charlie Gibb » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm considering getting backup hardware for my computers.  Currently I
have two Amiga 2000s (with SCSI) and a laptop running Linux (for which
it appears that the parallel port will be my only option).  I've been
seeing 100MB Zip drives for quite a reasonable price these days, but
now there are 250MB drives on the shelves next to them.  Has anyone
used any flavour of the 250MB drives on an Amiga or a Linux box yet?
SCSI or parallel?  Can you access MS-DOS/Windows disks?  What about
Jaz drives?

If these are FAQs is there a list recent enough to cover the 250MB
drives?

Thanks in advance for any information...

--

Remove the first period after the "at" sign to reply.

Is anyone using 250MB Zip drives?

Post by Tim Moor » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>...
> now there are 250MB drives on the shelves next to them.  Has anyone
> used any flavour of the 250MB drives on an Amiga or a Linux box yet?
> SCSI or parallel?  Can you access MS-DOS/Windows disks?  What about
> Jaz drives?

I beta tested the 250 using Iomeg's Jaz Jet FW SCSI controller card.  The 250 is no
different than its 100 cousins from an installation/setup perspective so std Zip
HOWTOs apply.

The 250 throughput is about 2.1MB/s (FS SCSI) for a 250 disk, 1.1MB/s for a 100 disk
(hdparm -tT).  My old parallel 100 does about 540KB/s.

RH5.2, 2.0.36-3 kernel.
--
[Replies: add tim in front]

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.