Win95 is not playing nice with my harddisk.

Win95 is not playing nice with my harddisk.

Post by Andreas Mitsi » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

 I got some trouble to get my first IDE-Drive recognized under
Windoze 95. I made sure I used fdisk on Linux to make a few Linux
partitions on it and at least one big partition for my Windoze.
But when I pop up "Options" for this special harddisk, it tells
me there is only a single huge partition. Running FDISK in
command mode (MS-DOS) recognizes the few other NON-DOS partitions.
My questions is: Can this lead to a problem. Since I install software
on my first harddisk, I'd like to know if Windoze is gonna overleap
with the partitions for Linux. Just curious about that ... Any hint
would be gratefully appreciated.

PS: It worked well with Windows for Workgroups. However ...

Best Regards,
Andreas Mitsis

Oh, I'm a sysadmin, and I'm ok.         | Andreas Mitsis

I knock back Cokes, I skip my lunch,    | Rhein-Main-Gebiet
I'm glued to the VDT!                   | 55128 Mainz, Germany

Post by John Imri » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

>  I got some trouble to get my first IDE-Drive recognized under
> Windoze 95. I made sure I used fdisk on Linux to make a few Linux
> partitions on it and at least one big partition for my Windoze.
> But when I pop up "Options" for this special harddisk, it tells
> me there is only a single huge partition. Running FDISK in
> command mode (MS-DOS) recognizes the few other NON-DOS partitions.
> My questions is: Can this lead to a problem. Since I install software
> on my first harddisk, I'd like to know if Windoze is gonna overleap
> with the partitions for Linux. Just curious about that ... Any hint
> would be gratefully appreciated.

> PS: It worked well with Windows for Workgroups. However ...

> Best Regards,
> Andreas Mitsis

> --
> Oh, I'm a sysadmin, and I'm ok.         | Andreas Mitsis

> I knock back Cokes, I skip my lunch,    | Rhein-Main-Gebiet
> I'm glued to the VDT!                   | 55128 Mainz, Germany

Don't wory Windoze will ignore any nodos partition and will refuse to
have ANYTHING to do with it. It is dead space as far as windows is
conserned

Post by Ton Nijk » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> >  I got some trouble to get my first IDE-Drive recognized under
> > Windoze 95. I made sure I used fdisk on Linux to make a few Linux
> > partitions on it and at least one big partition for my Windoze.
> > But when I pop up "Options" for this special harddisk, it tells
> > me there is only a single huge partition. Running FDISK in
> > command mode (MS-DOS) recognizes the few other NON-DOS partitions.
> > My questions is: Can this lead to a problem. Since I install software
> > on my first harddisk, I'd like to know if Windoze is gonna overleap
> > with the partitions for Linux. Just curious about that ... Any hint
> > would be gratefully appreciated.

> > PS: It worked well with Windows for Workgroups. However ...

> > Best Regards,
> > Andreas Mitsis

> > --
> > Oh, I'm a sysadmin, and I'm ok.         | Andreas Mitsis

> > I knock back Cokes, I skip my lunch,    | Rhein-Main-Gebiet
> > I'm glued to the VDT!                   | 55128 Mainz, Germany

> Don't wory Windoze will ignore any nodos partition and will refuse to
> have ANYTHING to do with it. It is dead space as far as windows is
> conserned

Hmmm, then try making an extended partition with only Linux logical
partitions inside it and see how Windoze refuses to do ANYTHING with...NOT!
It will keep trying over and over again to somehow access SOMETHING on
the extended partition, smart as it is, bringing your Windoze to XT speeds.

Ton.
    //

 //||\\||  P.O. Box 285,                       Voice: +31 (0)53 4320055

Post by John Shee » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Don't wory Windoze will ignore any nodos partition and will refuse to
>have ANYTHING to do with it. It is dead space as far as windows is
>conserned

Of course, it all comes up as free space in DOS' FDISK, so be careful.
It is much safer to do FAT partitions from something like Partition
Magic if you have mixed OSes.

 <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Post by Kris Caput » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> >  I got some trouble to get my first IDE-Drive recognized under
> > Windoze 95. I made sure I used fdisk on Linux to make a few Linux
> > partitions on it and at least one big partition for my Windoze.
> > But when I pop up "Options" for this special harddisk, it tells
> > me there is only a single huge partition. Running FDISK in
> > command mode (MS-DOS) recognizes the few other NON-DOS partitions.
> > My questions is: Can this lead to a problem. Since I install software
> > on my first harddisk, I'd like to know if Windoze is gonna overleap
> > with the partitions for Linux. Just curious about that ... Any hint
> > would be gratefully appreciated.

> > PS: It worked well with Windows for Workgroups. However ...

> > Best Regards,
> > Andreas Mitsis

> > --
> > Oh, I'm a sysadmin, and I'm ok.         | Andreas Mitsis

> > I knock back Cokes, I skip my lunch,    | Rhein-Main-Gebiet
> > I'm glued to the VDT!                   | 55128 Mainz, Germany

> Don't wory Windoze will ignore any nodos partition and will refuse to
> have ANYTHING to do with it. It is dead space as far as windows is
> conserned

You'd hope so eh?
In my case windoze95 seeing Linux partition decided it had drive D: in
addition to drive C: and spent minutes searching the non-existent drive
every time the computer folder was open. This drive D: did not show in
the DOZE mode but WINDOZE insisted it was there even after a full
reinstall. Only by unhiding all the files in the \windows directory and
deleting them the reinstall worked properly and the phantom drive D:
dissapeared.
--
Kris Caputa
Dpt of Electrical and Computer Engineering

1. Help w/ getting Linux and Win95 to play nice

Hello,

        I have seen lots of people in this newsgroup say that they are
having problems with getting Win95 and Linux to share the same HD (one
750 MB part for Win95 and three Linux parts totaling 790).  I would like
to add my voice to that growing chorus. I have tried installing the
RedHat version of Linux (and LILO) three times now.  Each time I do it
something goes wrong with Win95.  The last time I installed Linux I could
no longer get at my HD, flippy drive, or CD-Rom by clicking on the "My
Computer" icon.  But as long as I only did things from the start bar I
was okay.  I asked several computer friends for advice and in the end the
only thing that worked was to uninstall Win95 and then reinstall it.  I
was wondering if it was a problem with LILO.  I have read all the man
pages on installing Linux and the HOWTO's but have not come across
anything germane to my problem.  I would great appreciate any advice on
getting Linux and Win95 to run on the same HD.

Thank you in advance for you suggestions and advice.  :)

2. Netra T1 Generic Login (Root)?

3. Does FIPS play nice w/Win95 & DDO?

4. adding numbers without scientific notation

5. Nice. Nice nice nice.

6. telnet as root

7. nforce2, acpi, interrupts - not playing nice...

8. i740 setup as promised

9. ipchains and tcp-wrappers not playing nice?

10. samba and diald not playing nice

11. HELP -> RH 6.2, Adaptec 2940UW, and CMD CRD-5500 not playing nice..

12. Alpha not playing nice with network

13. kupdated not playing nice on XFS