Which one works better, Millennium II PCI or Millennium II AGP?

Which one works better, Millennium II PCI or Millennium II AGP?

Post by YJ » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The result was not pleansant. Even though I set refresh rate to 75Hz,
the whole screen flickers. After I took it out and put my old Intel i740
card
back in, the flickering was totally gone.

Since Intel i740 is not supported by RedHat, I am considering to
buy a Matrox Millennium II vedio card.
Now my question is: Which one works better with RedHat Linux 5.1,
Millennium II AGP or Millennium II PCI?

BTW, some say that Matrox Mystique is great also.
How is the performance different between Millennium and Mystique?

I'll appreciate your help very much.

- Yuan-Jing

Post by Michael Meissne » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> The result was not pleansant. Even though I set refresh rate to 75Hz,
> the whole screen flickers. After I took it out and put my old Intel i740
> card
> back in, the flickering was totally gone.

> Since Intel i740 is not supported by RedHat, I am considering to
> buy a Matrox Millennium II vedio card.
> Now my question is: Which one works better with RedHat Linux 5.1,
> Millennium II AGP or Millennium II PCI?

I've had no problems with either once I specified the video memory size to work
around a problem that causes a hang every 10 times or so (work computer doesn't
have an AGP port and has an 8 meg PCI card, home has an AGP port and has the 4
meg AGP card).  You do need 3.3.2 of XFree86 to support the AGP (and fix bugs
in the PCI version).  You might want to cruise the Matrox section of the
XFree86 web pages, there are 2-3 work arounds you need to know about.

Quote:> BTW, some say that Matrox Mystique is great also.
> How is the performance different between Millennium and Mystique?

I believe the Mystique doesn't have the bandwidth to do 1600x1200 (at least at
high bits per pixel).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Which one works better, Millennium II PCI or Millennium II AGP?

Post by David A. Frant » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

YJ;

If you hardware and software skills are good and you are up to a challenge
then I would go with the Matrox Mill. G200.    I've just installed this card
it is fantastic.    The installation did take a good part of a day :(.
This an AGP card by the way.    I do not have anything to reference
performance against other than and old pentium with an S3 chipset.    I will
just say the Matrox dusted my old system, the Xserver is snappy.

Dave

Post by Li-Jen Chan » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> The result was not pleansant. Even though I set refresh rate to 75Hz,
> the whole screen flickers. After I took it out and put my old Intel i740
> card
> back in, the flickering was totally gone.

> Since Intel i740 is not supported by RedHat, I am considering to
> buy a Matrox Millennium II vedio card.
> Now my question is: Which one works better with RedHat Linux 5.1,
> Millennium II AGP or Millennium II PCI?

> BTW, some say that Matrox Mystique is great also.
> How is the performance different between Millennium and Mystique?

> I'll appreciate your help very much.

> - Yuan-Jing

AGP card is supposed to be faster than PCI card. However.
Some magazine says there is no human sensible difference in performance
between PCI and AGP card.

Which one works better, Millennium II PCI or Millennium II AGP?

Post by Torben Noerup Nielse » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

David,

>YJ;

>If you hardware and software skills are good and you are up to a challenge
>then I would go with the Matrox Mill. G200.    I've just installed this
card
>it is fantastic.    The installation did take a good part of a day :(.
>This an AGP card by the way.    I do not have anything to reference
>performance against other than and old pentium with an S3 chipset.    I
will
>just say the Matrox dusted my old system, the Xserver is snappy.

I'm sure you must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. I got it up and working
in around 15 minutes by following the S.u.S.E. instructions. This on a
RedHat 5.1 system with a current XFree86. Performance is great.

To anyone who tries this, upgrade your system to the current XFree86 version
and then follow the S.u.S.E. instructions to the letter. Make sure you
specify the frequency ranges for your monitor correctly. Look up the right
numbers on the web if you do not have them handy.

Cheers, Torben

Which one works better, Millennium II PCI or Millennium II AGP?

Post by David A. Frant » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Torben;

I haven't quite figured out what happened, but I think the configurator was
using default values for some parts of the XF86Config file.   Not sure why,
other than the possiblity of a corrupt CARDS file.
In any event this system is great, must be 2-3 times faster than my old S3
system.

Now I'm down to implementing two more items on this installation.

I have to find a driver for my TB Montego Sound Card.
Also; Need to get the SCSI on my ASUS P2B to work.

If only I had a little time :) :)

Dave

>David,

>>YJ;

>>If you hardware and software skills are good and you are up to a challenge
>>then I would go with the Matrox Mill. G200.    I've just installed this
>card
>>it is fantastic.    The installation did take a good part of a day :(.
>>This an AGP card by the way.    I do not have anything to reference
>>performance against other than and old pentium with an S3 chipset.    I
>will
>>just say the Matrox dusted my old system, the Xserver is snappy.

>I'm sure you must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. I got it up and
working
>in around 15 minutes by following the S.u.S.E. instructions. This on a
>RedHat 5.1 system with a current XFree86. Performance is great.

>To anyone who tries this, upgrade your system to the current XFree86
version
>and then follow the S.u.S.E. instructions to the letter. Make sure you
>specify the frequency ranges for your monitor correctly. Look up the right
>numbers on the web if you do not have them handy.

>Cheers, Torben

1. matrox millennium II AGP same as millennium G200 AGP2X ??

on the redhat site they list matrox millennium II AGP as being
supported.
is this the same card as the matrox millennium G200 AGP2X ??

they also list the matrox mystique and mystique/220
are either of these the same as matrox mystique G200 AGP2X ??

thanks,
dan

2. irc connect c++source

3. Problem with Matrox Millennium II AGP and Asus P2B-D MB

4. Disk Geometry (How to Change it)

5. Matrix Millennium II AGP und xserver

6. Kernel

7. slakware 3.6 with ASUS P2B DS (adaptec 2940) and matrox millennium II AGP

8. 64 bit imagemagick

9. Matrox Millennium II AGP and XFree

10. Bad DGA throughput to Matrox Millennium II G200 AGP

11. Help! MGA Millennium II AGP

12. 1600x1280 with Matrox Millennium II AGP

13. Matrox Millennium II AGP