DHCP not working with Linksy LNE100TX v4.1 (AMDtek AL985 Centaur-P)

DHCP not working with Linksy LNE100TX v4.1 (AMDtek AL985 Centaur-P)

Post by Evan Man » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:34:56

I have a brand new Linksys v4.1 LNE100TX.  It's an AMDtek AL985 Centar-P as
reported by tulip-diag v2.04.  This card is eth0

I've tried the tulip driver v0.92n 11/3/2000 from
ftp.scyld.com:/pub/network/test/
I've tried the tulip driver v0.92i  7/31/2000 from the netdriver-2.0.src.rpm
I've tried the tulip driver v0.92  4/17/2000 from the Linux drivers that
Linksys tells you to use with this NIC (these don't even detect the chip
properly, it just shows up AMDtek Comet rev17, so we really won't consider
this, but I had to let you know I tested the "Linksys approved" one)

I'm using the newest pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h, and kern_compat.h from
ftp.scyld.com:/pub/network/ to compile my tulip.c modules

There are no driver error messages from dmesg when the module load (from any
of them).  If I use a static IP, the card intializes (ifup eth0) without any
problems.  However, if I use DHCP, the initializtion fails (initialization
failed error)

NOTE-1: My cable provider does not lock to a single NIC MAC address either
(I've got 3 PCs now all pulling unique IPs off the DHCP server, no NAT).

NOTE-2:  I also have a RealTek RTL8139 card in here, using the net-driver2.0
rtl8139 driver.  This card will load up with as static IP AND a DHCP ip in
the same linux box, so pump (redhat 6.2) is working correctly for DHCP.

I've e-mailed Donald Becker but I havn't heard back since my last e-mail
from him that provided some tulip-diag info. Becker said that since the
driver is letting the card work fine with a static IP, then the NIC and the
driver are working fine.

Sooo.. My problem is obviously, why won't DHCP work?

After a failed init via DHCP on the Linksys card, ifconfig -a shows packets
in TX and RX columns with no errors or collisions.  So the card is obviously
communicating, it just won't init via DHCP.

Does anyone have ANY ideas what I might be able to do to remedy this?  If I
can't get this to work, I guess I'll be returning the Linksys and having a
try with a Netgear card.

DHCP not working with Linksy LNE100TX v4.1 (AMDtek AL985 Centaur-P)

Post by Brian Morri » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Evan,

I too have an AMD processor.  There is a documented problem with SOME
AMD processors that because of IRQ Steering.

What worked for me was disabling IRQ Steering.  Here is your path to
disable IRQ Steering.

  Control Panel..System..Device Manager..System Devices..
      PCI Bus..IRQ Steering

I hope this helps...Brian OKC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. ADMtek Centaur-p chipset NIC

Folks,

I have a F=ma PCI 10/100 NIC, with the following identification on the
ONLY chip on
the board:

ADMtek Centaur-p AN983
0011WDAFAP056831.01

This is screened right onto the package, so I can't lift a sticker and
get more info.

The model number of the card is GDC1216C-TX-50.

Does anyone have an idea what this chip is, and which driver I should be
using?

Thanks,

Russ

2. Current Run-Level: How can you tell?

3. Linksys LNE100TX v4 won't initialise under RedHat 6.2

4. can't compile dosemu

5. linksys lne100tx v4.1

6. Printer problem, lpr: lp: unknown printer

7. Linksys Etherfast LNE100TX v4.0

8. Apache Performance 1.2.5 vs 1.3.12

9. linksys LNE100tx v2.0 nics with FreeBSD 4.2 release not working

10. PCI lan cark not working (lLinkSys LNE100TX) HELP!!!

11. PW 433au Digital Unix V4.0d: dxaccounts does not work ????

12. DHCP not working when booting, works after login

13. Slack 8.0 on a Voodoo3 3500using XF86 v4.2.0 not working correctly