SPEA graphic card, only 16 colors?

Post by Peter Bru » Tue, 01 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello!

I have tried to configure Linux for my SPEA V7 PRO. The SVGA-XServer
says something like "unknown chip set error". So I can use only the
VGA_16-XServer with 16 colors.

Any idea how to remidy this problem?
Thanks for any help, comments, flames,...

Peter
--
Peter Bruhn             | Department of Applied Computer Science

------------------------> Code fast, execute young, and leave a pretty core!

SPEA graphic card, only 16 colors?

Post by Charles F. Leppl » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Unless your card is a video chameleon, you are stuck until someone else comes
along and writes a new vga256 X driver for your card. Are you up for that
challenge? If so, read the excellent guide in /usr/X11/lib/Server/{i can't
remember} . It should have something about writing SVGA drivers. Read it--it is
your only hope for now.

1. Strange Graphic Overlaps in 16,32 bit color depths

I really have several issues, and I hope to get at least a few of them
fixed soon.  I'll start with a few details:

Diamond Stealth Video Vram (64?) with 4MB (verified).
XFConfig says - Identifier "Vision 968"
I do have the screens set up for Depths of 8, 16, and 32.
I have NO PROBLEM getting 16 or 32 bit modes, I just have a problem with
the display when I do!

Can anyone tell me why my X windows gives me overlapping graphics in 16
and 32 bit color depths?  By overlapping, I mean that the left half of
my monitor screen is duplicated from the middle and off to the right of
the screen.  Just imagine an Xterm with on the left side of my monitor
screen, mirrored exactly on the right side, including seeing any typing
in the left box in the right box.  Now, it's even worse because
everything is mirrored that way and that is downright confusing.  Even
the login window (kdm) gives this mirroring effect.  I just don't get
it, and I haven't found anything (yet) in the documentation that
describes this!

A second and lesser problem occurs with 8 bit depth.  I have commented
out all XFConfig entries for interlaced Modelines, yet I still get
strange flickerings of the monitor when the graphics move around in KDE
or Gnome (whichever I try).  Sometimes there are striations on the
screen that appear while a graphic Window is moving around.

I would really like to use 16 or 32 bit depth for color, but I must
resolve these issues.  ANY HELP Whatsoever will be appreciated.

Ron Gaw

2. USB deadlock in v2.5.67

3. Can't get more than 16 colors from SVGA graphics library?!?

4. Add time of all commands in BASH history

5. Avanti layout tool fail to run on 16/24 bits color graphic.

6. Boot error help please

7. MetroX in 64K/16.7M colors/1024x768 and ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64) Problems

8. How to capture process ID?

9. 16 colour graphics libs

10. A Graphics card and adapter to give 24-bit graphics + 64k colours.

11. VLB, 16 MB, Cirrus 5428, and 16/24 bit color

12. Colormap problems w/ 8 bit graphics in 16 bit mode - stealth 64 vlb 2m vram card

13. Mach32 Graphics Card on 16 Bit Mode