Micron XSU, 64bit PCI bus, permedia chip and linux

Micron XSU, 64bit PCI bus, permedia chip and linux

Post by Phil Rasc » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone gotten a version of linux to work well with the Micron
Powerdign XSU machine? (I bought it with the Diamond Fire 1000 Pro
graphics chip).

I have successfully installed Redhat 5.0 (running the 2.0.32 kernel)
but it does not recognize some of the devices on the PCI bus.

I have also installed the XSuSE Elsa drivers and they tell me that no
permedia chip is found when I try to start the Xserver.

I believe that linux is confused because Micron has built this machine
with a seperate 66Mhz, 64bit PCI bus specifically for communication
with the graphics board.  During the boot process it issues messages
indicated that it has found three unrecognized PCI devices, and tells me
to consult the pci.h file of the kernel. Looking in there it tells me
to identify the devices to the PCI maintainers and they will update
the code rapidly.

Of couse there is no point in me fussing with this if it has already
been done. I know 2.0.32 is getting pretty old now. But I havent found
anything in perusing the LDP and kernel groups.

Are there hints I can provide to the kernel from lilo that will
allow me to proceed anyway?

Does anyone have any advice for making rapid progress on this.

Thanks in advance.

Boulder CO, 80307
phone 303-497-1368
Fax   303-497-1324

Post by gerald clar » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone gotten a version of linux to work well with the Micron
> Powerdign XSU machine? (I bought it with the Diamond Fire 1000 Pro
> graphics chip).

> I have successfully installed Redhat 5.0 (running the 2.0.32 kernel)
> but it does not recognize some of the devices on the PCI bus.

> I have also installed the XSuSE Elsa drivers and they tell me that no
> permedia chip is found when I try to start the Xserver.

> I believe that linux is confused because Micron has built this machine
> with a seperate 66Mhz, 64bit PCI bus specifically for communication
> with the graphics board.  During the boot process it issues messages
> indicated that it has found three unrecognized PCI devices, and tells me
> to consult the pci.h file of the kernel. Looking in there it tells me
> to identify the devices to the PCI maintainers and they will update
> the code rapidly.

> Of couse there is no point in me fussing with this if it has already
> been done. I know 2.0.32 is getting pretty old now. But I havent found
> anything in perusing the LDP and kernel groups.

> Are there hints I can provide to the kernel from lilo that will
> allow me to proceed anyway?

> Does anyone have any advice for making rapid progress on this.

> Thanks in advance.

> Boulder CO, 80307
> phone 303-497-1368
> Fax   303-497-1324

The messages about unidentified PCI devices just means the they are
unidentified,
not unused. You can still drive a FORD if you pull its nameplate off.
Kernel code checks the manufacturer codes and identifier codes to help
determine
if any special handling of the hardware is necessary.  If it does not
recognise
the codes, it assumes it is pretty much standard, and treats it as
normal hardware.
This shoul only be a problem if your board uses REALLY new chips, and
the kernel
can't figure it out by banging around at boot time, and needs the id
codes to make
the right decision.
--
Remove the -bogus- portions of my return address!

1. Installing Linux on a Micron Powerdigm XSU

Am having problems installing Red Hat Linux 6.0 on a Micron Powerdigm XSU
with SCSI drives.  I have the IDE ports disabled, since all drives are SCSI
(using Adaptec 2940 controller), including the CDROM drive.  The autoprobe
stalls at the point where it probes IDE controllers.  I've tried setting
the install boot option to "idex=noprobe". However, the results are the
same.  I've also tried "pci=nobios" with no joy.  I'm wondering if this
motherboard is compatible with Linux.  Does anyone know?

2. network interface speed

3. installing linux on micron samurai powerdigm xsu

4. routing problem (I think) ...

5. cannot install linux on Micron Powerdigm Xsu

6. Okay, You Quake Heads . . . .

7. Installing on a Micron Powerdigm XSU

8. Socket Permission Question

9. Micron Powerdigm XSU -- Samurai chipset

10. Help with Micron P75/PCI bus and ISA scsi

11. Followup to Diamond Stealth 64, PCI bus, Micron Pentium, etc.

12. Trying to Install InfoMagic v3.0 on micron laptop and micron server - pci error on both???

13. Problem - Zoron chip on PCI bus with Intel 865 and 875 chipset