HP LaserJet 6L: can I do better?

Post by Jeffery Ch » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I'm considering buying a laser printer for the first time.
I doubt I'd have any problems with it under Windoze, but
will it perform satisfactorily under Linux?

If you have 6L running under Linux, please take some time to
answer some questions:

1) how easy was it to get it running under ghostscript?
2) how easy was it to upgrade RAM? what type/sizes of simms does
   it accept?
3) can images be printed as crisply under Linux as they are in
   windows?

If you have a 6L and are dissatisfied with it, I'd like to
know too! In particular, what other printers (of about the same
capabilities and price range) do I have to choose from?
I've seen a Brother 660 in action before under win95 but
I don't know much about it in Linux. At least with the HP,
I know I can use the printcap from earlier HPs..can't I?

Any comments greatly appreciated,

Jeff

--
|======================================================|
| Jeffery Chow   4th year Computer Science, UBC        |

:
:If you have 6L running under Linux, please take some time to
:answer some questions:

I have had a 6L running under Linux for several weeks and have been very
satisfied.

:
:1) how easy was it to get it running under ghostscript?

I am using Ghostscript 5.03 and magicfilter (using ljet4-filter) and a
printcap entry
lp|HPLJ6|PostScript:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/usr/spool/lp1:sh:mx#0:\
    :if=/usr/local/bin/ljet4-filter:
This has given no problems.

:2) how easy was it to upgrade RAM? what type/sizes of simms does
:   it accept?

You can add 1, 2, 4, or 8 MEG of additional memory.  It does not use
SIMM's but standard JEIDA cards which are available from many suppliers.
They just plug in to a slot that is easily accesed on the side of the
printer.

:3) can images be printed as crisply under Linux as they are in
:   windows?

Can't comment, don't use windows except when absolutely, positively
necessary.

:
:If you have a 6L and are dissatisfied with it, I'd like to
:know too! In particular, what other printers (of about the same
:capabilities and price range) do I have to choose from?
:I've seen a Brother 660 in action before under win95 but
:I don't know much about it in Linux. At least with the HP,
:I know I can use the printcap from earlier HPs..can't I?
:
:Any comments greatly appreciated,
:
:Jeff
:
:--
:|======================================================|
:| Jeffery Chow   4th year Computer Science, UBC        |
:|------------------------------------------------------|

Post by Matt Kirsc » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 > If you have 6L running under Linux, please take some time to
 > answer some questions:

 > 1) how easy was it to get it running under ghostscript?

It's as easy as you make it. With RedHat, you upgrade to the latest
available Ghostscript RPMs, and set it up as a LaserJet 4 to get 600 dpi
output.

 > 2) how easy was it to upgrade RAM? what type/sizes of simms does
 >    it accept?

That's something you ask the salesperson. While I don't have this
printer, I know that HP printers usually require special RAM only
available from HP or possibly Kingston.

 > 3) can images be printed as crisply under Linux as they are in
 >    windows?

If they can't there's something wrong with the printer.

HP LaserJet 6L: can I do better?

Post by Jeffery Ch » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi Everyone,

: Any comments greatly appreciated,

I've received about 7 responses, all favouring the 6L to a great degree
with Linux. I've made the decision to buy it and successfully installed
it under win95. Now for the *real* fun: Ghostscript!

Thank you for all your help in this matter!
(If I have any problems, I'll know where to post. ;)

Jeff
--
|======================================================|

Post by Jos » Mon, 20 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>  > If you have 6L running under Linux, please take some time to
>  > answer some questions:
 [snip]
>  > 2) how easy was it to upgrade RAM? what type/sizes of simms does
>  >    it accept?

> That's something you ask the salesperson. While I don't have this
> printer, I know that HP printers usually require special RAM only
> available from HP or possibly Kingston.

This is no longer true. I've recently put two 4 MB non-parity 72-pin SIMMs
in my HP LJ 6MP (same as 6P, but with a Postscript SIMM installed) that
were pulled out of a PC, and they work great.

However, HP will be delighted to sell you a commodity SIMM for 4 times the
market price ...

Quote:>  > 3) can images be printed as crisply under Linux as they are in
>  >    windows?

 [snip]
Yes.

--
   O<     ( (     [ http://omicron.nyu.edu/~jmf9936/  ]

<_>-<_  + :::::-. [ ObNYU: I drink, therefore I cram. ]
 HCl<O>   `:::'-' [ ENXJ DNRC JAPH - pgp ID D0E9B8C1  ]

1. Printing with HP 6L LaserJet

Maybe someone can help me:

I have an HP LaserJet 6L and am running RedHat Linux 4.0. I have ghostscript
4.03 and nenscript 1.33 installed. I configured the printer using RedHat's
printtool, choosing the ljet4 driver. Sadly, when I print with lpr or
nenscript, the printer turns on and feeds pages through, but I see no output.
Does anyone have a filter that works for the HP 6L or have any other info
about this problem? Thanks,

Marcus

PS Here is my /etc/printcap:

# /etc/printcap
#
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL ljet4 600x600 letter {}
lp|PostScript|postscript:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp1:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp1/filter:

PPS Here is my /var/spool/lpd/lp1/filter, generated by printtool:
#!/bin/sh

DEVICE=ljet4
RESOLUTION=600x600
PAPERSIZE=letter
SENDEOF=

nenscript -TUS -ZB -p- |
if [ "$DEVICE" = "PostScript" ]; then
        cat -
else
        gs -q -sDEVICE=$DEVICE \
                -r$RESOLUTION \
                -sPAPERSIZE=$PAPERSIZE \
                -dNOPAUSE \
                -dSAFER \
                -sOutputFile=- -
fi
if [ "$SENDEOF" != "" ]; then
        printf "\004"
fi

exit 0

2. Yale Survey on Internet Usage <quint1 : comp.unix.programmer>

3. HP Laserjet 6L

4. neighbor table overflow problem

5. HP LaserJet 6L

6. What prog makes .saves-*-Machine.domain files ??

7. Printing to HP LaserJet 6L

8. enabling interrupt-driven operation

9. Ghostcript printing using Econo mode with HP LaserJet 6L

10. Howto print with HP Laserjet 6L

11. hp laserjet 6l + RH6.1

12. ghostscript for HP LaserJet 6L ???

13. hp laserjet 6l+RH6.1