Wanted: PPro-200 w 256k

Post by Gordon Haverlan » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi:
  I have a PC with sockets for 2 PPro-200 256k CPUs.
Only one socket is occupied, I would like to fill the
other socket.  Gives me a chance to play with SMP.
Thanks.

Gordon Haverland

Wanted: PPro-200 w 256k

Post by Chris Schule » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

be warned; typically when using a dual processor system it is advised that
the chips are within one stepping of each other.  The stepping is located on
the bottom of the chip i belive.  There are software means of finding this
out as well.  (alas i only know how in Windows 95/98/NT, but im not about to
explain that here :)  )

//Chris

>Hi:
>  I have a PC with sockets for 2 PPro-200 256k CPUs.
>Only one socket is occupied, I would like to fill the
>other socket.  Gives me a chance to play with SMP.
>Thanks.

>Gordon Haverland

Wanted: PPro-200 w 256k

Post by Jürgen Averbec » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>   I have a PC with sockets for 2 PPro-200 256k CPUs.
> Only one socket is occupied, I would like to fill the
> other socket.  Gives me a chance to play with SMP.

Hmm, i only have three PPro 200/512K. Two of them working
fine in my server since more than one year with even such an uptime...

Sorry, but the only PPro with 256K i know is the 180MHz-Proc..

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------DRIVE-Systems
(Consulting, Development, InterNetworking Solutions)

Wanted: PPro-200 w 256k

Post by Jim William » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've been checking pricewatch, because I have a couple pentium pro
motherboards I'm considering using for Linux servers. The cheapest cpus I
found were 150s with 256k cache, the most expensive were 200s with either
512 or 1024k cache. (the latter topped out at something like 9 thousand
bucks...) There are PPro 180 cpus with 256k cache, but for about the same
price, you could can get PPro 166s with 512k cache, which I think would be a
better deal.