What CD-RW drive for Linux?

Post by Graham Daniel » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:27:34

My old Mitsubishi CD Burner (which I still run on a Windoze 98
system) is acting very strangely, and may be on the way out, so I am
considering what to buy if I have to get a new one.

I would like to make sure that the new burner is going to be Linux
compatible, as I am moving toward running only Linux whenever
possible.

I am running redhat 7.3 (but may go to 8.0 in the future) on a
Celeron 1ghz system.  I dont have a scsi card so prefer to use a IDE
burner.

Can anyone recommend a make (or model that has been around for a
while and is still on sale) that works well with Linux?

Your input greatly valued.

Regards,
Grahma Daniell

What CD-RW drive for Linux?

Post by Zebee Johnsto » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:05:12

In aus.computers.linux on Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:27:34 +0800

>I am running redhat 7.3 (but may go to 8.0 in the future) on a
>Celeron 1ghz system.  I dont have a scsi card so prefer to use a IDE
>burner.

>Can anyone recommend a make (or model that has been around for a
>while and is still on sale) that works well with Linux?

I use a Lite brand one, 40 read, 16 write, works fine.  I think most
IDE ones will if your ide-scsi is set up right, mine worked out of the
box on RH 7.3

see www.liteonit.com

Zebee

What CD-RW drive for Linux?

Post by scott » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:00:16

> In aus.computers.linux on Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:27:34 +0800

>>I am running redhat 7.3 (but may go to 8.0 in the future) on a
>>Celeron 1ghz system.  I dont have a scsi card so prefer to use a IDE
>>burner.

>>Can anyone recommend a make (or model that has been around for a
>>while and is still on sale) that works well with Linux?

> I use a Lite brand one, 40 read, 16 write, works fine.  I think most
> IDE ones will if your ide-scsi is set up right, mine worked out of the
> box on RH 7.3

I'm using a diamondata , works fine. I think most IDE models work under
modern linux distros.
Quote:

> see www.liteonit.com

> Zebee

What CD-RW drive for Linux?

Post by Richard Adam » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:14:14

>Can anyone recommend a make (or model that has been around for a while
>and is still on sale) that works well with Linux?

Any drive that is "MMC-compliant", simply make sure you buy an IDE/ATAPI
device that is MMC-compliant.

There is a way outdated list in the CD-Writing-HOWTO.

--
Regards Richard

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

What CD-RW drive for Linux?

Post by Bard » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:52:30

> My old Mitsubishi CD Burner (which I still run on a Windoze 98
> system) is acting very strangely, and may be on the way out, so I am
> considering what to buy if I have to get a new one.

> I would like to make sure that the new burner is going to be Linux
> compatible, as I am moving toward running only Linux whenever
> possible.

> I am running redhat 7.3 (but may go to 8.0 in the future) on a
> Celeron 1ghz system.  I dont have a scsi card so prefer to use a IDE
> burner.

> Can anyone recommend a make (or model that has been around for a
> while and is still on sale) that works well with Linux?

> Your input greatly valued.

> Regards,
> Grahma Daniell

liteon 48x24x48 for $99.

Great drive.

What CD-RW drive for Linux?

Post by Luke » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:02:02

Quote:> liteon 48x24x48 for $99.

> Great drive.

I use a liteon as well...
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=331608

What CD-RW drive for Linux?

Post by ERA » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:58:57

In comp.os.linux.hardware

Quote:> My old Mitsubishi CD Burner (which I still run on a Windoze 98
> system) is acting very strangely, and may be on the way out, so I am
> considering what to buy if I have to get a new one.

> I would like to make sure that the new burner is going to be Linux
> compatible, as I am moving toward running only Linux whenever
> possible.

[...]

Questions about which CD-R/RW drives to use with Linux are Frequently
Asked. Searching groups.google.com will nearly always answer your
Question that is Asked Frequently. Regardless, this is a pre-recorded
template message I import to answer these Questions. :-)

Pretty much anything SCSI will work. You do have to have a SCSI
controller to take advantage of them though. We use Adaptec, other
people swear by other SCSI controller brands.

I recommend only TEAC, Toshiba, Yamaha and Plextor drives. I haven't
had a customer complaint yet while using any of these brands in our
custom PC builds. My personal preference (for now) are the Plextor
drives. The TEAC and Toshiba drives tie for second in my opinion and
the Yamaha drives come up last only because they cost so much more
for the same functionality of the other three brands.

All three brands come in both SCSI and <hack, spit> IDE versions.

SCO Group Authorized Partner - OpenServer, UnixWare & SCO Linux
--
Linux era1.eracc.UUCP 2.4.19-16mdk i686
 11:49pm  up 15 days,  2:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.21, 0.13