Adaptec 2949-UW AIC 7880

Post by Holger Hetteric » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

this SCSI Adapter is onboard with a Iwill P55XUWB Mainboard. According
to the kernel-docs, (version 2.0.32) this one is supported, but the
system reboots when trying to find the adapter. Any Ideas?

THanks,
Holger

Adaptec 2949-UW AIC 7880

Post by John Smit » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Try the newer stable kernel 2.0.33.  Try a minimal kernel.  (No excess
drivers, etc.)  Try passing the cards settings to the driver through lilo.

>Hi all,

>this SCSI Adapter is onboard with a Iwill P55XUWB Mainboard. According
>to the kernel-docs, (version 2.0.32) this one is supported, but the
>system reboots when trying to find the adapter. Any Ideas?

>THanks,
>Holger

Adaptec 2949-UW AIC 7880

Post by Bart Linds » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:36:07 +0000, Holger Hetterich

>Hi all,

>this SCSI Adapter is onboard with a Iwill P55XUWB Mainboard. According
>to the kernel-docs, (version 2.0.32) this one is supported, but the
>system reboots when trying to find the adapter. Any Ideas?

Two possibilities I can think of...

1. The kernel needs to be passed some arguments (eg. at lilo prompt)
 eg. aha152x=0x340,11,7,1 (You'll need to change the aha152x with something else
     and possibly also the 0x340 (IO port) and 11 (IRQ) and so on.

2. It's possible that your kernel has its SCSI driver compiled as a module. If
 this is the case, you'll need to ensure that you have an initrd image and a
 line for your hard disk in /etc/conf.modules.

If neither of the above helps, download a boot disk from a site like
ftp.redhat.com (or slackware,... - no favouritism here :-) who pack as much
hardware support as possible into their installation kernels.

You could also try activating the SCSI controller under DOS/Windoze before
starting up Linux.

Cheers,

Bart.

Good luck.

Adaptec 2949-UW AIC 7880

Post by George Nimme » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:36:07 +0000, Holger Hetterich

> >Hi all,

> >this SCSI Adapter is onboard with a Iwill P55XUWB Mainboard. According
> >to the kernel-docs, (version 2.0.32) this one is supported, but the
> >system reboots when trying to find the adapter. Any Ideas?

I fixed this same problem with my onboard AIC-7880, build into the Gigabyte 586DX
motherboard.I activated it under dos, and was fine since then.

Quote:> You could also try activating the SCSI controller under DOS/Windoze before

--
George Nimmer
Computer Science

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/undergrad/gen22/

1. x86 Solaris 8 unable to install on AIC 7880 UW SCSI

I am trying to rebuild a Win2000 Pro system with NTFS to a Intel Solaris 8.

Here is the hardware config.

1. Dual P-II 233 MHz

2. RAM 512 MB

3. Three Western Digital 4.36 GB hard drives.

4. 2936 UW SCSI PCI Adapter with RAID 0 Adaptec AIC 7880 Mega RAID 5

5. The three disks are treated as one 12 GB logical disk.

6. Video card.

7. Reconfigured PowerEdge 2200 /233

8. Bootable NEC CD-ROM

9. PlexWriter CD-RW

I have formatted and initialized all the three disks and have set it to RAID

0 on channel 0. I tried to install the Solaris drivers for the PCI SCSI

adapter with no luck.

When installing, it goes all the way to "

English has been selected as the language in which to perform the install.

Starting the Web Start 3.0 Solaris installer:

Solaris installer is searching the system's hard disks for a

location to place the Solaris installer software.

No disks that meet the criteria in the Solaris Installer documentation

found.

Please check the syste, or try another installation option.

#"

It gives me the prompt and I can view all files. For some reason it is

unable to locate a disk. What am I doing wrong? Please help! The boot

args are empty after configuration assistant is run. According to the

install guide of Intel Solaris 8, the boot args should be kernel/unix. What

am I doing wrong

Atul Tewari

2. soundrecord-software

3. Red Hat 4.2 - install problems with Adaptec AIC-7880 onboard

4. Anyone have any comments ?

5. Adaptec AIC-7880 ?

6. SCSI CD problems?Suggestions?

7. Support for Adaptec AIC 7880/7890 SCSI host adapter

8. Identd problem with accessing irc servers

9. Linux compatibility with Adaptec AIC-7880 on Intel Providence motherboard?

10. making install disk for Adaptec 2940/aic 7880?

11. Adaptec AIC 7880 and SCO 3.2v4.0

12. SUPPORT Adaptec AIC 7880 PCI & Symbios Logic 8751SP SCSI host card

13. Adaptec AIC-7880 and Red Hat 5.0/Intel