Sound Blaster PCI128 And SUSE 7.0

Post by ESN Boch » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I have a PIII 667 system with 128 MB RAM and an on-board SB PCI 128
(Ensoniq chipset) compatible sound system. After a test installation of
SUSE Linux 7.0, I cannot get the sound to work! It is formally
recognized by yast as "Ensoniq 1371", but when trying to load the
es1371.o module, a message 'cannot load module es1371.o' pops up. I
tried lspci -v and setserial /dev/ttyS5 port PORT irq IRQ (of course
using the values printed out by lspci),like outlined in the manual, but
this does not seem to help!
I know, PCI128 cards do work under SUSE 7.0 for many users; is it,
because mine is a on-board "100 % compatible"?
I just downloaded the newest ALSA packages from SUSE's ftp site, but
did not yet install them. Is there hope to fix it this way?

Moreover, my 56bps "MagixXpress Internal Data Fax PCI Modem" isn't
recognized, too! Cannot find any information in the hardware database
of SUSE's about MagicXpress modems. Yast's hardware routines always
just say: cannot find modem on system!

My Linux kernel is version 2.2.13, no patches applied. All the above
hardware is running without any problems with Windows 98 SE.

If someone could give me any advice about one of these two issues, I'd
be very grateful!

TIA, Werner

--
Werner E. Fangmeier
Diplominformatiker u. Softwareentwickler

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Sound blaster PCI128 and Sound blaster live

Hi,
        I am trying to setup linux (rh5.2) on 2 machines currently.
One of the machines has a Soundblaster PCI128 card on it and the other a
Soundblaster Live card.

I tried sndconf on the machine with the PCI128 it did detect it as the ensoniq
sb pci128 card but when it tried to play the sound sample it failed saying

sox: can't open output file /dev/dsp: operation not supported by device

What's the deal?? I tried chmod 666 /dev/dsp to no avail.

As for the SB live card. I have not tried setting up the sound at all.
I keep seeing posts saying that it is as yet unsupported but there was a
message way back in nov or dec 98 that some one had succeded in using the
ensoniq 1370 for it too.

Any help will be appreciated.
                                Arun.
PS: Would appreciate it if anyreplies could be emailed to me at

2. Unable to install Debian on an IBM 7248-133

3. Sound: Sound Blaster PCI128 - Plse Help!

4. Power Linux Installation Help, PLEASE!

5. Sound Blaster PCI128 Sound Card with Mandrake 6.0

6. linux 2 linux starnge connection

7. sound blaster on SuSE 7.0

8. Compiler Flag for Solaris 7

9. Sound Blaster PCI128

10. Alternative to OSS for Sound Blaster PCI128?

11. Need HELP with Sound Blaster PCI128

12. Audio Problem: Sound Blaster PCI128(or PCI64)