Does anybody know how to decompress packages ending with .tar.bz2 ?

Post by Pierr » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Does anybody know how to decompress packages ending with .tar.bz2 ?
I found these packages on http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn .

I have a sound card not supported. I depend on ALSA. But I don't know how to
install the
packages with names ending with .tar.bz2.

Thanks a lot !

Pierre.

--
---------------------------
Dept. of Mathematics,

Does anybody know how to decompress packages ending with .tar.bz2 ?

Post by Gene Hesket » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Pierre ;

man tar

If its a tar.bz2 file, its probably source which will need to be
compiled.  You do have that installed too don't you?

Quote:> Does anybody know how to decompress packages ending with .tar.bz2 ?
> I found these packages on http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn .
> I have a sound card not supported. I depend on ALSA. But I don't
> know how to install the packages with names ending with .tar.bz2.
> Thanks a lot !
> Pierre.
> --
> ---------------------------
> Dept. of Mathematics,
> University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
> --------------------------

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
ISP's please take note: My spam control policy is explicit!

Does anybody know how to decompress packages ending with .tar.bz2 ?

Post by Olivier Brear » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

bzip2 is a GNU compressor i think... checkout gnu.org to see if I am
wrong...
 (No web access here, so can't check myself)...

Does anybody know how to decompress packages ending with .tar.bz2 ?

Post by Kenneth R?rv » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a sound card not supported. I depend on ALSA. But I don't know
>how to install the
>packages with names ending with .tar.bz2.

bunzip2 foo.tar.bz2; tar xpvf foo.tar :))

--
Kenneth R?rvik         91841353/22718452

0554 OSLO               home.no.net/stasis

Post by Markus Holzapfe » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

: I have a sound card not supported. I depend on ALSA. But I don't know how to
: install the
: packages with names ending with .tar.bz2.

man tar.
tar xIf xxxx.tar.bz2

hth,

Markus

Post by Alex Chudnovsk » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >I have a sound card not supported. I depend on ALSA. But I don't know
> >how to install the
> >packages with names ending with .tar.bz2.

> bunzip2 foo.tar.bz2; tar xpvf foo.tar :))

> --
> Kenneth R?rvik            91841353/22718452

> 0554 OSLO          home.no.net/stasis

Or else :
tar xyvf foo.tar.bz2

--