need barebones system reseller recommendation

need barebones system reseller recommendation

Post by Wiseg » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:03:42



It is time to build a new system and this time I want to build
a dual processor Xeon machine.  I am having a bear of a time
finding a reseller who I can buy from with confidence.

Here is the spec of what I am willing to mailorder.  The rest I
will buy retail from some local retail outlet.

Tyan Tiger S2668ANR dual Xeon motherboard
two 2.8mhz Xeon DP processors with 533mhz fsb and 512K l2 cache
2GB Kingston DDR memory unbuffered non-ecc PC2100 (four sticks of 512MB)
Antec Plusview 1000AMG case
Antec 550W ATX12V or EPS12 power supply
Nvidia 5900XT AGP 8x graphics with Dsub 15 and S-video output (128MB)

I have questions about compatibility between different Xeon processors
and the motherboard so I require pre-sales phone support before
ordering.  I want the seller to verify that the Xeon CPUs they send
will be INTEL boxed, not OEM, identical, and capable of working in a
dual CPU system.  Used to be that in SMP machines the CPUs had to have
the same stepping code.  Is that still the case?

Also prefer someone who keeps these components in stock and has fast
turnaround time.  Looking for a company that does not have a bad
reputation with the Better Business Bureau.  Would like the reseller to
assume a 12 month no cost replacement guarantee with them (not the
manufacturer) for components that fail.  Finally cost is a concern.

Anyone able to recommend a reseller in the USA who will take phone orders,
knowledgable pre-sales support, and can supply these components or
even build the system in house before shipping?

tia

 
 
 

need barebones system reseller recommendation

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:44:43



> Tyan Tiger S2668ANR dual Xeon motherboard
> two 2.8mhz Xeon DP processors with 533mhz fsb and 512K l2 cache
[snip]
> I have questions about compatibility between different Xeon processors
> and the motherboard so I require pre-sales phone support before
> ordering.  I want the seller to verify that the Xeon CPUs they send
> will be INTEL boxed, not OEM, identical, and capable of working in a
> dual CPU system.  

Any Xeons will run in a dual CPU configuration.  That's the main
difference between P4 and Xeon:  the P4s won't run dual, the Xeons will.
  (XeonMP will also run in 4 CPU configuration, but you won't be buying
those!)

Quote:> Used to be that in SMP machines the CPUs had to have
> the same stepping code.  Is that still the case?

No.  Even as far back as the P-III (perhaps earlier) they didn't have to
be.  Somewhere on the Intel site you can find charts of what steppings
are known to work together.  However, in general, as long as the lowest
numbered stepping CPU is the first CPU you'll be fine.  Also, if you're
buying both processors at the same time it is almost certain that you'll
get identical ones.

IOW, I wouldn't worry too much about getting re-assurance from the
vendor that the CPUs will work together.  That's probably the *least* of
your concerns.  And as long as you stay away from 800MHz FSB Xeons (and
the super-expensive XeonMP chips), you should be OK with the Tyan board
you mentioned.  The 533MHz FSB chips with 512K L2 cache you mention will
certainly work.

 
 
 

need barebones system reseller recommendation

Post by Wiseg » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:48:04



Quote:> No.  Even as far back as the P-III (perhaps earlier) they didn't have to
> be.  Somewhere on the Intel site you can find charts of what steppings
> are known to work together.  However, in general, as long as the lowest
> numbered stepping CPU is the first CPU you'll be fine.  Also, if you're
> buying both processors at the same time it is almost certain that you'll
> get identical ones.

> IOW, I wouldn't worry too much about getting re-assurance from the
> vendor that the CPUs will work together.  That's probably the *least* of
> your concerns.  And as long as you stay away from 800MHz FSB Xeons (and
> the super-expensive XeonMP chips), you should be OK with the Tyan board
> you mentioned.  The 533MHz FSB chips with 512K L2 cache you mention will
> certainly work.

thanks for the followup...I'm anxious to get this system set up and start
doing some fun things like 3d models of 40+ mile cave systems and
converting some open source code to be SMP capable.

Whe you write "least of my concerns" what other , if any, problems do you
see with the proposed configuration?  I'm staying with the 2.8ghz 512K
Xeons and PC2100 memory so that it is within the "specified" capabilities
of the motherboard.  The only other real concern I have about the
hardware itself is the power consumption and airflow.  I want a 550W
power supply so that there is room to spare, regardless of how many
32bit PCI cards I add, or how many internal disks there are (within
reason).  I figure on the following fan configuration.

cpus each have a fan, the power supply has two fans, the video has a fan,
and the case will have two rear fans.  The case is rather a large tower.  
I wonder if the larger size will affect (negatively or positively) the
air flow.

 
 
 

need barebones system reseller recommendation

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:01:32


On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:03:42 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware,


> 2GB Kingston DDR memory unbuffered non-ecc PC2100 (four sticks of 512MB)

Seems a shame to skimp by buying non-ECC memory on a system like that.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

 
 
 

need barebones system reseller recommendation

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:41:12



> thanks for the followup...I'm anxious to get this system set up and start
> doing some fun things like 3d models of 40+ mile cave systems and
> converting some open source code to be SMP capable.

> Whe you write "least of my concerns" what other , if any, problems do you
> see with the proposed configuration? I'm staying with the 2.8ghz 512K
> Xeons and PC2100 memory so that it is within the "specified" capabilities
> of the motherboard.

When I said getting the CPUs working together was the least of your
concerns, the other potential pitfalls I can see would be getting the
wrong CPUs (i.e., the 800MHz FSB ones or the MP ones, dunno whether or
not the 1MB cache ones would work with your board), but the ones you've
mentioned should be fine.  Memory is another potential problem for some
of the more finicky boards, but again, I don't see a problem with what
you're talking about since you're staying within the manufacturers specs.

Quote:> The only other real concern I have about the
> hardware itself is the power consumption and airflow.  I want a 550W
> power supply so that there is room to spare, regardless of how many
> 32bit PCI cards I add, or how many internal disks there are (within
> reason).  

A 550W power supply sure is nice.  I don't know if you'll need an EPS12V
model or not.  That is certainly something I'd look into.  I know for my
  dual Xeon, SuperMicro says you need an EPS12V system, but other users
report it functions fine without so long as you don't use AGP Pro
graphics card.  Now, none of that applies to your proposed Tyan config,
but I don't know specifically *what* does, so that's why I didn't
comment on the EPS12V thing in the first post.  (That said, it doesn't
hurt to get the EPS12V even if you don't need, AFAIK.)

Anyway, the system you proposed in the first message in this thread
looks fine to me.  The greatest concern is probably finding a reputable
vendor who meets all of your needs at a reasonable price.  And I can't
help with any of that...I'm in Canada so I don't know of any U.S.
vendors to recommend.

 
 
 

need barebones system reseller recommendation

Post by General Schvantzkop » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:02:11



> It is time to build a new system and this time I want to build a dual
> processor Xeon machine.  I am having a bear of a time finding a reseller
> who I can buy from with confidence.

> Here is the spec of what I am willing to mailorder.  The rest I will buy
> retail from some local retail outlet.

> Tyan Tiger S2668ANR dual Xeon motherboard two 2.8mhz Xeon DP processors
> with 533mhz fsb and 512K l2 cache 2GB Kingston DDR memory unbuffered
> non-ecc PC2100 (four sticks of 512MB) Antec Plusview 1000AMG case
> Antec 550W ATX12V or EPS12 power supply Nvidia 5900XT AGP 8x graphics
> with Dsub 15 and S-video output (128MB)

If you are looking for components then Newegg is the best bet, I've used
them for a number of systems. They don't assemble systems or offer
barebones servers but they are a good source for motherboards, processors,
cases and power supplies. For memory I always buy direct from Crucial.
 
 
 

1. Error while installing 7.2 on barebones system

Are you using the new update boot.img disks available from redhat's FTP
site in the images directory? Get both the new "boot.img" and the
"update-disk-20020117.img" and make the boot floppies. Then when it gets
to the boot prompt enter:

   linux updates

If you want to install in text mode just add text at the end of the line
above.

ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.2/en/os/images/i386

Other OS's aren't really needed but can be helpful at times until you
get use to linux.

Hope this helps.
--
Confucius say: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org

2. (386) assembler in Bash

3. Error while installing RH 7.2 on a barebones system

4. rendition chipset

5. NEED PRICE: Custom Barebones

6. Samsung SyncMaster3 Monitor help needed

7. Linux system building - need a recommendation

8. ipportfw and Linux 2.0.36? or anything else that will work!

9. need hardware recommendation for a linux system

10. Alpha system recommendation needed.

11. Need recommendations for buying UNIX system

12. Need system board recommendation

13. Reseller referral needed!