Using a Serial mouse when a PS/2 mouse port exists in the system

Using a Serial mouse when a PS/2 mouse port exists in the system

Post by Muhammad Junaid Shah » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:27:34

I am using an Intel SE440BX2 motherboard. It contains a PS/2 mouse
port but I use a serial mouse instead. I have installed WinLinux 2000
(kernel v2.2.6 & XFree86 3.1) and my mouse is not working in it. The
problem seems to be that Linux detects the PS/2 port and tries to use
it but since the mouse is actually a serial one so it does not work. I
have used the xf86config utility and also the WinLinux Config Utility
to set the mouse type to Serial but on bootup Linux still detects the
PS/2 port and then ignores my serial mouse. Can anybody please tell me
how can I make my mouse work?

Post by glen » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 10:07:38

> I am using an Intel SE440BX2 motherboard. It contains a PS/2 mouse
> port but I use a serial mouse instead. I have installed WinLinux 2000
> (kernel v2.2.6 & XFree86 3.1) and my mouse is not working in it. The
> problem seems to be that Linux detects the PS/2 port and tries to use
> it but since the mouse is actually a serial one so it does not work. I
> have used the xf86config utility and also the WinLinux Config Utility
> to set the mouse type to Serial but on bootup Linux still detects the
> PS/2 port and then ignores my serial mouse. Can anybody please tell me
> how can I make my mouse work?

make sure the /dev/mouse points to the serial port (one of the cua#
device) rather than psaux.

$ls -l /dev/mouse

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Dec  6  1999 /dev/mouse ->
cua0

Glenn Pavlovic
Motto: I am what I choose to be, for which I make no excuses, no
apologies.

Using a Serial mouse when a PS/2 mouse port exists in the system

Post by Muhammad Junaid Shah » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:38:17

I have now changed /dev/mouse to point to /dev/cua0 but it still isn't
working. I also tried tty0 and ttyS0 but no effect. Could anything
else be causing the problem?