tg3 vs bcm5700 driver for Broadcom Gigabit NICs

tg3 vs bcm5700 driver for Broadcom Gigabit NICs

Post by jef » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:34:14

Anyone have any experiences with the HP NC7771 NICs? We will be
implementing a few HP DL380 G3 servers that have these onboard.

So far, the kernel tg3 driver seems to be ok with the Broadcom chipset,
but when talking with HP on a different matter the other day, one of their
techs mentioned that the tg3 driver could lock up the NIC and recommended
using the bcm5700 driver supplied on their site.

I'm going to build both and run some tests, but am looking for any
personal experiences with either or both drivers.

Thanks!

Post by goe.. » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:51:24

: Anyone have any experiences with the HP NC7771 NICs? We will be
: implementing a few HP DL380 G3 servers that have these onboard.
: So far, the kernel tg3 driver seems to be ok with the Broadcom chipset,
: but when talking with HP on a different matter the other day, one of their
: techs mentioned that the tg3 driver could lock up the NIC and recommended
: using the bcm5700 driver supplied on their site.
: I'm going to build both and run some tests, but am looking for any
: personal experiences with either or both drivers.

I dont see why tg3 driver would lock up, tho in my experience the broadcom
GbE chips run *very* hot. If cooling is poor... shrug.

-Dan
(To reply in email replace blort dot invalid with anime dot net)

Post by Chris Co » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:37:44

> Anyone have any experiences with the HP NC7771 NICs? We will be
> implementing a few HP DL380 G3 servers that have these onboard.

> So far, the kernel tg3 driver seems to be ok with the Broadcom chipset,
> but when talking with HP on a different matter the other day, one of their
> techs mentioned that the tg3 driver could lock up the NIC and recommended
> using the bcm5700 driver supplied on their site.

> I'm going to build both and run some tests, but am looking for any
> personal experiences with either or both drivers.

> Thanks!

I have deployed many G2 and the newer G3 servers (the latter with
the broadcom).  I installed the latest bcm5700.  There are several
problems otherwise.  The lock up one, I have not experienced, however,
the MAC address going to all 00:00:00's I have experienced (same
thing?).  It's simple module to build and deploy though.  I pulled mine
off of broadcom's website.  Now I do have some SLES8 boxes with the
latest maintenance, and I believe that includes a new enough copy of
the bcm5700 driver... so no problem there.  But I do install
the driver manually on my RH AS 2.1 boxes.

The tg3 driver does seem to work ok and as long as you don't
get the all 0's MAC problem, it's useful to prime the pump so
to speak so you can get a working bcm5700 module installed using the
network.

1. tg3 vs. bcm5700 driver for Broadcom Gigabit cards

Anyone have any experiences with the HP NC7771 NICs? We will be
implementing a few HP DL380 G3 servers that have these onboard.

So far, the kernel tg3 driver seems to be ok with the Broadcom chipset, but when
talking with HP on a different matter the other day, one of their techs
mentioned that the tg3 driver could lock up the NIC and recommended using the
bcm5700 driver supplied on their site.

I'm going to build both and run some tests, but am looking for any
personal experiences with either or both drivers.

Thanks!

jef

2. SCO network printers

3. Broadcom BCM5700 driver improperly setting MTU on second NIC

4. Sockets on SMP architecture

5. need IBM R40e NIC driver for RH9(BCM5700)

6. Does the Iomega 250 work for ANYONE?? (ftape)

7. RH7.2 Troubles Installing BroadCom BCM5700 NetXtreme on HP D530

8. gdbm.h missing in qpopper installation

9. Broadcom tg3 parameter for RH Linux

10. Broadcom tg3

11. irregular packet-loss with use of bonding on tg3 Broadcom

12. IBM x335, Broadcom NIC anf fscked up atkbdc driver