Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe linux 7.1

Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe linux 7.1

Post by E. Carrill » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:23:10

I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe linux 7.1

Post by Carsten Cimander,, » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:53:07

Hi,

did you compile a kernel and integrate ISA-PNP support?
Did you install the tool isapnp to dump the ISA-Bus configuration?

If not please do so and read the hints in isapnp-howto

Regards,
Carsten

> I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
> can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
> boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
> the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
> that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
> right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
> setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
> sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
> seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
> help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

1. Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe linux 7.1

I have a sound blaster 16 ISA card which works fine under windows, but I
can't make it work properly on linux.  The card does work the first time I
boot the system right after the linux installation. But as soon as I restart
the system the sound stops working.  During the boot up process I see a line
that says something like "initializing snd-card-sb16" and "Done" on the
right side of the screen with green letters.  If I try using the YaSt 2
setup program it recognizes the card, but during the sound test there is no
sound. It supposedly starts ALSA during the boot up process but that doesn't
seem to do any good.  I'm a total newbie to this linux world so if you can
help me please be as descriptive as you can. Thank you in advance.

2. ACPI patches updated (20030109)

3. ISA Sound Blaster 16 Card not working on RH 7.1

4. Centralized Authentication Problem - Not exactly NIS - Not exactly Kerberos

5. Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe 7.31

6. XFree on Compaq LTE 5300 w clgd 7543

7. Sound Blaster SB 16 ISA sound card problems

8. Connecting to 3Com HiPer servers?

9. Creative Sound Blaster 16 - SuSe Installation

10. Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

11. Sound Blaster 16 problem with Slackware Linux 2.0.35

12. Sound Blaster 16 (Vibra 16)

13. Problem with Sound Blaster 16 With Panasonic CD-ROM under Linux System