Please Help: Lost Win95 OSRII after wrong LILO installation

Please Help: Lost Win95 OSRII after wrong LILO installation

Post by Wim Borger » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

Yesterday I wanted to migrate my second HD with Linux to another computer.
I changed the configuration as much as possible on the orginal PC and
wanted to put the HD in the other one and go on with the installation.

To do that, I reconfigured LILO and wrote LILO to the HD.  Here's my
mistake.. instead of writing it to the superblock of the partition, it
was installed to my first HD.  Since I didn't include any other partitions
but Linux in LILO, I couldn't start my OS/2 bootmanager or DOS/win95/NT.

I did an FDISK /MBR, which worked fine, but rearranged my drive letters.
I reconfigured them using NT's Disk Administrator.  Somehow I must have
made a mistake:

- Although my NT has a FAT32 driver installed, it doesn't recognise the
  OSRII Partition

- OSR II's  fdisk even says the first fat32 partition is 'non-dos'

- after I choose 'win95" in the bootmanager, win95 asks for the location
  of command.com and refuses to go on.

- the win95-partition has no drive letter assigned anymore, and I can't
  assign a new one, since Disk Manager for NT doesn't recognise the
  partition.

- Booting in DOS with a floppy automatically assignes C: to a FAT16
  partition on the end   of the drive used for data.

- DOS's FDISK also says the FAT16 is C:

My only copy of Partition Quest Magic is on the affected OSRII
partition....

Can I revive this partition, and if so how?  Please Help me, because I
don't have the time to install the whole thing all over again...

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards

Wim

Wim Borgers
Member & Co-System Administrator of LISA
(Limburg Internet Student Association)

KotNet address: http://tvd-10-64-16-19.kotnet.kuleuven.ac.be
                http://wibo.tiense.kotnet.org
                (KotNet addresses only accessible from within the domain
                kuleuven.ac.be)
Homepage:       http://lisa.luc.ac.be/wibo
KotPage:        http://lisa.luc.ac.be:8888

Please Help: Lost Win95 OSRII after wrong LILO installation

Post by ble » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello!

>Yesterday I wanted to migrate my second HD with Linux to another computer.
>I changed the configuration as much as possible on the orginal PC and
>wanted to put the HD in the other one and go on with the installation.

>To do that, I reconfigured LILO and wrote LILO to the HD.  Here's my
>mistake.. instead of writing it to the superblock of the partition, it
>was installed to my first HD.  Since I didn't include any other partitions
>but Linux in LILO, I couldn't start my OS/2 bootmanager or DOS/win95/NT.

LILO can boot any OS partition. Read /usr/lilo-*/README and man lilo for
better info. Those are great documents.

Quote:

>I did an FDISK /MBR, which worked fine, but rearranged my drive letters.
>I reconfigured them using NT's Disk Administrator.  Somehow I must have
>made a mistake:

snip .. not sure but NT Disk Admin arrangement don't change the sequence of
/dev/hd* since it only change the letter not move the partition like Partition
Magic ...

Quote:

>- Although my NT has a FAT32 driver installed, it doesn't recognise the
>  OSRII Partition

It should recognize FAT 32

Quote:>- OSR II's  fdisk even says the first fat32 partition is 'non-dos'

Make sure you boot floppy disk is made while installing OSR2 or made from OSR2
machine. Fdisk version for Window95 A and OSR2 is different.

Quote:

>- after I choose 'win95" in the bootmanager, win95 asks for the location
>  of command.com and refuses to go on.

You have to sys you win95 partition to get your win95 working again. Use OSR2
boot disk or ask your friend how is using OSR2 to make a boot disk.

Quote:

>- the win95-partition has no drive letter assigned anymore, and I can't
>  assign a new one, since Disk Manager for NT doesn't recognise the
>  partition.

>- Booting in DOS with a floppy automatically assignes C: to a FAT16
>  partition on the end   of the drive used for data.

Maybe because it's the primary partition when you playing with NT Disk Admin.

Quote:

>- DOS's FDISK also says the FAT16 is C:

I think it's because your fdisk version cannot see FAT32.

Quote:

>My only copy of Partition Quest Magic is on the affected OSRII
>partition....

>Can I revive this partition, and if so how?  Please Help me, because I
>don't have the time to install the whole thing all over again...

As long as your partition is still there you can recover them. Make thing a
step at a time.
1. Find your *OSR2* boot disk and boot up < for
   more info go to http://www.compuclinic.com/ >
2. Make active your OSR2 partition in order to be able to sys it.
3. Sys your OSR2 partition.
4. to mix NT with Linux see Linux Journal Issue 44 in section Best of
   Technical Support and 46 in section Letters to Editor of article Mixing
   Linux and NT. But here's some of it's explainations on issue 46 :
        Assume NT is on /dev/hda1 Linux is on /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda1 is
        mounterd on /dosc
        a. In Linux, edit the /etc/lilo/conf so that boot=/dev/hda2
        b. And run this:
           /sbin/lilo dd if=/dev/hda2 of=bootsect.lin bs=512 \
           count=1
        c. Then move bootsec.lin to /dosc:
           mv bootsec.lin /dosc
        d. In NT edit c:\boot.ini to include(make it the default if you wish):
           c:\bootsct.lin='linux'
        e. Reboot and NT boot loader will give you a new menu of Linux.

5. Good luck :)

Norick Chen               | 'All men by nature

Post by John C Brow » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

>Hello!

>I did an FDISK /MBR, which worked fine, but rearranged my drive letters.
>I reconfigured them using NT's Disk Administrator.  Somehow I must have
>made a mistake:

As far as I know NT 4 as standard does not support FAT32 therefore the disk
administrator would make a right pigs ear of any changes to a FAT32
partition.  (Just because it says FAT32 on the screen does not mean NT 4
knows what to do with it.)

Quote:>- Although my NT has a FAT32 driver installed, it doesn't recognise the
>  OSRII Partition

I have not seen a FAT 32 driver for NT so don't know how reliable it is
(unless you're using NT 5 which is a Beta and you deserve any problems you
get.)

Quote:>- OSR II's  fdisk even says the first fat32 partition is 'non-dos'

>- after I choose 'win95" in the bootmanager, win95 asks for the location
>  of command.com and refuses to go on.

If you boot from a Win32 (OSR2) boot floopy can you see the FAT32 partition?

If you can see it from a floppy boot, you should be able to use the old sys
a: c: (change drive letter as appropriate) to copy windows 95 in to the boot
sectors.

If you can't see the win95 drive after booting from a floppy, you're in
trouble!

Quote:

>- the win95-partition has no drive letter assigned anymore, and I can't
>  assign a new one, since Disk Manager for NT doesn't recognise the
>  partition.

To be honest, this sounds bad, but keep reading, I do have a last resort.

Quote:

>- Booting in DOS with a floppy automatically assignes C: to a FAT16
>  partition on the end   of the drive used for data.

>- DOS's FDISK also says the FAT16 is C:

Are you 100% sure you are booting with an OSR2 win95 boot disk.  A rescue
disk created when you installed OSR2.  (NOT the original setup disk, that
may not do, although it should, if you are sure it is the OSR2 floppy.)

Quote:

>My only copy of Partition Quest Magic is on the affected OSRII
>partition....

Have you asked all your friends to ask all their friends, if they have a
copy?

Quote:>Can I revive this partition, and if so how?  Please Help me, because I
>don't have the time to install the whole thing all over again...

Now for the last resort.

Despite all the warnings FDISK gives about it losing all your data etc etc.
SOMETIMES it does not.  If you know the EXACT geometry of the lost
partition, you may keep your data.

I stress this is still very unlikey and you must ONLY do this as a last
resort.  I take NO responsibility if it goes horribly wrong.  It normally
only works when the partition on a drive takes up the whole drive space.

Write down the exact sizes of the partitions reported by the Win95 OSR2
version of FDISK (important, you must use the same version of FDISK
throughout.)

Use the same Win95 OSR2 FDISK and delete the non-DOS partition that you
think should be FAT32.  Only change the one partition that is wrong.  If you
change another partition at the same time, there is NO chance of this
working.

Add a partition EXACTLY the same size as the one just deleted, but this time
it should be FAT32.

Now boot from a Win95 OSR2 floppy disk and see if you can see the partition.
If you can't you've had it.

If all that works, what I can't tell you how to do, is make that the primary
partition.  I think that's down to LILO or whatever to get round that.

By the way, all the time you will spend sorting out the problems, you would
be much better off re-installing the whole machine. (or at least that
partition.)

A reinstall is like one of those other unwelcome tasks like having the car
serviced.  You know you've got to do it in the end!

I hope you have some luck.
__
John C. Brown
Computer Manager, Essex Furniture PLC http://www.furniture-workshop.co.uk
VC++ Programming ... http://www.clue.demon.co.uk/source.html
Try Using PNG files instead of GIF  ...  Updated Beta of CImage Class

1. please help - lost LILO, LILO lost

Hello,

i recently brought my linux system down by doing some stupid thing.
i went as far as having no choice but to reset the system a few
times. after that, i tried booting win95 (sorry this beast coexists
on my hard drives). upon getting the wallpaper on screen, the screen
went blank and there was no response. then i rebooted the computer
and this time the lilo prompt was changed from "LILO: " to "LI"
and the system hung. i had no emergency boot disks ready (it was
under work at that time) but i did have a boot disk for win95 and so
i got the dos prompt with that. however, many directories were
not readable, one of which contained a comm program that i needed to
use. i turned to my good old 386, made a rescue disk and somehow
managed to get into linux again. now everythings works fine under
linux with booting from a floppy but i can't figure out how i could
fix the supposedly damaged MBR. i tried restoring the old MBR by
'lilo -u' and 'dd if=/boot/boot.0300 of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1'
and reinstall lilo but it didn't work. by restoring the old mbr,
i get a message like 'insert system disk' or something, and by
reinstalling it, i get the "LI" prompt again. the lilo.conf file
is as follows.

compact
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
# timeout=600
image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

i still can mount win95 filesystems and i think everything is readable,
if that matters. help, anyone please?

--
Our freedom, or your life!                              <RATM>

2. apache directory rights

3. HELP!: Lost LILO after reinstalling Win95

4. which soundcard?

5. PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

6. "pon" fails and gives "ttyS overrun" in syslog

7. Lost LILO needs to be reconfigured...please help!

8. Slakware bootdisk problems...

9. win95 killed lilo on scsi drive. Please help!

10. Help, please: How to configure LILO for Linux on SCSI, Win95 on IDE.

11. LILO starts win95? please help

12. Lost Win95 after installing LILO

13. Newbie Loses LILO in Win95