Big Harddisk (Matrox, 120 GB)

Post by Marvin Mass » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:28:14

Hello, everybody out there using Linux! :)

I bought a new harddisk (Matrox, 120 GB).
The BIOS identifies it correctly (IDE Master).
Under Linux, everything works fine (fdisk shows 120 GB).

But I want to Windows and Linux parallely..
I downloaded a Windows 98 bootdisk from bootdisk.com because I
couldn't find the install CD quickly.
I also downloaded a special version of fdisk for use with large disks
(from the same page).
Both fdisk's fail to show the correct disk size.
If I remember correctly, the only "see" 30 GB.
Then, I partitioned with Linux fdisk, where I reserved 85 GB or so for
Windows (sorry ;-)).
Now, in Win98 fdisk, it says something about 50 GB or so...

Any idea?

I have a DFI K6BV3+/66 motherboard.
The latest "stable" BIOS update was from April 2000, the latest
"unstable" from Spring 2001 or so...
Thus, I found the risk of destroying my BIOS much higher than the
possibilty that these updates could help me.

My current BIOS is from 1999.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Marvin

Big Harddisk (Matrox, 120 GB)

Post by Guillaume H'eni » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:17:51

Hi,

Seems that your BIOS have the 32Gb limit ;o) I had the same problem with a
drive I recently installed on an old motherboard.
Linux don't use BIOS to access the disk so there is no problem.
Windows use the BIOS so is the problem.
You should go on maxtor website and download the disk installer which will
install a BIOS overlay to pass over BIOS limit. The size reported by bios
has no mean and will be overwritten by the overlay.

You should follow these steps :
1- Install the BIOS overlay
2- create a small ~50 Mb partition for linux /boot using linux fdisk.
3- create and format a windows partition, then install it.
4- Install Linux, using the partition you had reserved for /boot and
install lilo (or any bootloader) on the /boot partition.
5- using fdisk, makes the /boot partition active.

Hope this will help.

1. Fdisk 15 GB harddisk gets 1 GB ?

Hi, I have a Western Digital 15 GB harddisk. I installed Linux Red Hat 7.2
on it with several linux partitions and 1 linux swap partition. Working
well. Then I decide to use this harddisk in a win98 system.

I boot up from win98 bootdisk but was unable to fdisk/erase all the linux
partitions. Then I use freedos ffdisk. Can't get rid of the linux
partitions.  I am now left with 1 GB. That is whenever I boot from a win98
disk, I will always see a fat32 1 GB size. Appears that the other 14 GB has
disppaeared somewhere.

I even boot up from disk 1 of RH 7.2 and did the fdisk from there. After I
delete all the kinux partitions and "w" to disk. I quit the installation by
switching off the computer. No go. I still get 1 GB out of a 15 GB harddisk!

Is there any fdisk equivalent utility for me to get back my full harddisk
capability? The computer bios reports a full 15 GB.

Or how do I copy the linux fdisk utility to a DOS boot diskette to use?

Thanks

2. user attribute issue

3. Unknown major/minor Devtype - IBM DeskStar 120 GB

4. PPP problems

5. 120 Gb drive with Linux?

6. Diamond Viper 770D driver for Linux/XFree86 w/ OpenGL support?

7. 2x 120 GB IDE + NFS server = crash

8. need help with RAID1 mirror!

9. Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

10. How to partition 120 GB drive for Solaris 9

11. Problems with HighPoint Rocket 100 and/or Seagate 120 GB hard drive

12. 120 GB HD

13. Can 120 GB HD work as slave?