Sparc & ReadHat, Does it work

Post by Eric Palm » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone gotten RedHat 4.0 to install on a Sparc?

I'm having a heck of a time on a

   Sparc 2 w/Weitec Doubler Chip
   2 1GB Drives Seagates ST31200N
   32 MBytes RAM
   CD-ROM
   QIC-150 Tape

During the install SILO would not install.
Got a generic "problem installing SILO" message.

Repartitioned the disk several times.

Dicovered a message on www.redhat.com
about partitions starting at cylindar 0 corrupting
the SUN Disk label.

Repartitioned to ignore 0 Cyl. and then installed again.
SILO installed but then the system would not boot.

Getting a message from after the memory test (SUN PROM)
that says
   Invalid Instruction

Any ideas?

I using the sun CD to reformat and relabel the disks as I write this
message.

TIA

Sparc & ReadHat, Does it work

Post by Nils Faerb » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Has anyone gotten RedHat 4.0 to install on a Sparc?
Yepp!

: I'm having a heck of a time on a
:    Sparc 2 w/Weitec Doubler Chip
:    2 1GB Drives Seagates ST31200N
:    32 MBytes RAM
:    CD-ROM
:    QIC-150 Tape
This works for me with no problems.

: During the install SILO would not install.
: Got a generic "problem installing SILO" message.
: Repartitioned the disk several times.
: Dicovered a message on www.redhat.com
: about partitions starting at cylindar 0 corrupting
: the SUN Disk label.
: Repartitioned to ignore 0 Cyl. and then installed again.
: SILO installed but then the system would not boot.
: Getting a message from after the memory test (SUN PROM)
: that says
:    Invalid Instruction
: Any ideas?
OK. I had the same problem initially.
It is VERY important to have partition no. 3 start at cylinder 0 and covers
the whole disk. The new fdisk with RedHat 4. is smart enough to avoid the
cylinder 0 scratch problem so start partition no. 1 on cyl. 0 too (like
part. 3).
Just to be sure I do it like this:
part 1 - start cyl. 0 end at max, type unnused
part 2 - start cyl. 0 16MB size, type swap
part 3 - start cyl. 0 end at max, type "whole disk"
part 4 - maybe the rest, install here ;)

SILO needs at least one partition to start at cyl. 0!

: I using the sun CD to reformat and relabel the disks as I write this
: message.
Maybe the above could help...

: TIA
CU
  nils

--
Nils Faerber                 ASGARD-BBS  asgard.si.sub.de

voice     +49 271 8909277    http://www.unix-ag.uni-siegen.de/~nils/
data/fax  +49 271 8909278
isdn/X75  +49 271 8909279
--