Slackware won't recognize Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM

Slackware won't recognize Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM

Post by Creative Business Advise » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Has anybody gotten Slackware Linux (latest release) to work with
the Creative Labs, Inc. Sound Blaster 16 Quad-SPeed CD-ROM Drive
Multimedia kit?  I have a very generic 486 machine and can't find
a driver for it.  I looked on

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/kernel/patches/cdrom/INDEX

and around some other places and am at a loss to how to proceed.
On page 832 of this monster Linux Encyclopedia, there is some
blurb about Proprietary CD-ROM drives and it lists
Creative Labs, although it does not list my particular model
of Creative Labs CD-ROM.
Am I out of luck?  Should I have spent more money on a better
CD Drive? :-)  This was one of those 200 buck specials that throws
in everything in one box - the sound card, CD-ROM Drive, games,
utilities etc.....

Thanks for any advice.

------ Mike

Slackware won't recognize Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM

Post by Dimitrios Tzim » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for a good (not necessarily cheap!) Pentium Pro motherboard in
ATX format, which will be used to run Linux exclusively.
Any recommendations? It should be compatible with the following hardware:

1. Buslogic SCSI controller ( 958 PCI).
2. Matrox Millenium.

Current candidates include:

1. Intel Venus
2. Micronics
3. Tyan

Also, does anyone have any first hand experience on a two Intel Pentium
133 CPU's versus a single Pentium Pro setup?

Please post or e-mail. I will summarize all responses.

Thanks,

Dimitri

Slackware won't recognize Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM

Post by Tasos Drosopoul » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anybody gotten Slackware Linux (latest release) to work with
>the Creative Labs, Inc. Sound Blaster 16 Quad-SPeed CD-ROM Drive
>Multimedia kit? I have a very generic 486 machine and can't find
>a driver for it.

Assume you mean Slackware3.1/96, and PnP SB16 4x CDROM. Same setup here.
Default setup/connection of SB card and CDROM with DOS driver showing port
168 for CDROM (tertiary port, slave configuration). The bare/color
combination has support for ATAPI CDROM which is what you have. The sbpcd
drivers are for older soundcards. Giving the option "ramdisk hdh=cdrom"
(I quote from memory here; the syntax might be slightly different) at the
boot prompt should recognize your drive. (Or, try hdc to hdh if your dos
driver shows a different port number).

Post by Robert B. McGeh » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:
:I am looking for a good (not necessarily cheap!) Pentium Pro motherboard in
:ATX format, which will be used to run Linux exclusively.
:Any recommendations? It should be compatible with the following hardware:
:
:1. Buslogic SCSI controller ( 958 PCI).
:2. Matrox Millenium.
:
:Current candidates include:
:
:1. Intel Venus
:2. Micronics
:3. Tyan
:
:

I would not write off the SuperMicro as it performs very nicely.

:Also, does anyone have any first hand experience on a two Intel Pentium
:133 CPU's versus a single Pentium Pro setup?
:
:Please post or e-mail. I will summarize all responses.
:
:Thanks,
:
:
:Dimitri
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Robert B. McGehee - University of Mississippi - RM Racing, Inc.

http://sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu/~rbm
http://www.inlink.com/~rmracing

Post by Matthew DiRenz » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I am looking for a good (not necessarily cheap!) Pentium Pro
> motherboard in ATX format, which will be used to run Linux
> exclusively. Any recommendations? It should be compatible with the
> following hardware:

> 1. Buslogic SCSI controller ( 958 PCI).
> 2. Matrox Millenium.

> Current candidates include:

> 1. Intel Venus
> 2. Micronics
> 3. Tyan

> Also, does anyone have any first hand experience on a two Intel
> Pentium 133 CPU's versus a single Pentium Pro setup?

> Please post or e-mail. I will summarize all responses.

   I will say that I have an Intel Venus motherboard, as it meets all of
your requirements.  I'm not 100% sure if it IS that particular
motherboard, but it is ATX and it does support both of the PCI cards you
mentioned.  Also, your reply to address is wrong.  My system's mailer
daemon said your domain (panix.com) was invalid.  I'm just posting my
reply to your e-mail here.
   Here's a question for you: Do you know if X Windows supports the S3
ViRGE graphics chipset?  XFree86 doesn't have built in support
*specifically* for the S3 ViRGE chipset, but I've heard that the S3
Trio64V+ driver will work on the card.  If you know if that method
works, or if you know of any other X Servers that support the S3 ViRGE
chipset, let me know.
Matthew DiRenzo

http://www.uscom.com/~matt
U.S. Online