Need Help...

Need Help...

Post by Hamish McDuf » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 03:01:54



Ok, complete newbie (and I mean newbie, first time install, don't know what
the hell I am doing, but gotta start somewhere right?)....I have installed
Red Hat 7.1 (the reason I chose the old one was because I bought a cheap
book which was based around 7.1) and am trying to get my alcatel speedtouch
usb installed. I can't find any SIMPLE guides for this and it is very
complicated for someone who doesn't even know how to do a makefile command
(keep getting a warning about how this driver was compiled with 2.2.2
(something like this) and I am using 2.2.3.......... Anyone willing to give
me some pointers? Thank you very much for any replies.

--
Remove ukscene in address to reply, Thanks.

 
 
 

Need Help...

Post by David Ya » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:05:59



> Ok, complete newbie (and I mean newbie, first time install, don't know
> what the hell I am doing, but gotta start somewhere right?)....I have
> installed Red Hat 7.1 (the reason I chose the old one was because I bought
> a cheap book which was based around 7.1) and am trying to get my alcatel
> speedtouch usb installed. I can't find any SIMPLE guides for this and it
> is very complicated for someone who doesn't even know how to do a makefile
> command (keep getting a warning about how this driver was compiled with
> 2.2.2 (something like this) and I am using 2.2.3.......... Anyone willing
> to give me some pointers? Thank you very much for any replies.

> --
> Remove ukscene in address to reply, Thanks.

Getting the SpeedTouch  USB to work is relatively straightforward but it's
probably _not_ a good starting point to learn!  Have a look at this:

http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/

You probably don't need to worry about all that stuff about the kernel -
just do the modules bits and see if it works.  Chances are it will.  If you
run into more problems try posting again or Google in Groups.  There are
loads of previous posts...

--
David Yan
www.ahcis.com - for platform independent software

 
 
 

Need Help...

Post by Hamish McDuf » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:00:28


Many thanks for your reply, the trouble is I do not understand how to make
the makefile work and this site presumes you do and it is all a bit
double-dutch to me at mo....(I know, useless), but according to the book I
have, I can use the ./ command command, but this does not appear to work,
any ideas? Many thanks for the reply.

--
Remove ukscene in address to reply, Thanks.


> > Ok, complete newbie (and I mean newbie, first time install, don't know
> > what the hell I am doing, but gotta start somewhere right?)....I have
> > installed Red Hat 7.1 (the reason I chose the old one was because I
bought
> > a cheap book which was based around 7.1) and am trying to get my alcatel
> > speedtouch usb installed. I can't find any SIMPLE guides for this and it
> > is very complicated for someone who doesn't even know how to do a
makefile
> > command (keep getting a warning about how this driver was compiled with
> > 2.2.2 (something like this) and I am using 2.2.3.......... Anyone
willing
> > to give me some pointers? Thank you very much for any replies.

> > --
> > Remove ukscene in address to reply, Thanks.

> Getting the SpeedTouch  USB to work is relatively straightforward but it's
> probably _not_ a good starting point to learn!  Have a look at this:

> http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/

> You probably don't need to worry about all that stuff about the kernel -
> just do the modules bits and see if it works.  Chances are it will.  If
you
> run into more problems try posting again or Google in Groups.  There are
> loads of previous posts...

> --
> David Yan
> www.ahcis.com - for platform independent software

 
 
 

Need Help...

Post by David Ya » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:34:51



>> Getting the SpeedTouch  USB to work is relatively straightforward but
>> it's
>> probably _not_ a good starting point to learn!  Have a look at this:

>> http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/

>> You probably don't need to worry about all that stuff about the kernel -
>> just do the modules bits and see if it works.  Chances are it will.  If
> you
>> run into more problems try posting again or Google in Groups.  There are
>> loads of previous posts...
> Many thanks for your reply, the trouble is I do not understand how to make
> the makefile work and this site presumes you do and it is all a bit

I can't remember if "modem_run" needs to be made or whether it is already
built as an executable binary.  If not, there should be a makefile that
came with the download file and all you need to do is just type "make" in
the directory the makefile is in.  Make will find the makefile
automatically and make the binary for you.

You shouldn't need to bother with rebuilding and patching the kernel and
modules.  I'm pretty sure your kernel will have USB support built in and
all the modules mentioned present on your system.  Then it is literally a
question of loading the modules.

This is the document I am referring to:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/speedtouch/...

Skip the first couple of pages and start at "Pppd configuration".  The only
thing you need to change there are the vpi and vci values.  For the UK they
should be vpi=0 and vci=38, but _do_ check this.  You ISP would have
supplied you with them.

Then all you have to do is to follow what's in the documentation.  The other
thing you need to find out is whether your USB controller is usb-uhci,
usb-ohci or uhci.  You'll see this in your boot messages: do "dmesg | grep
usb" and you'll see it.

Then mount the CD that came with the modem and copy the file "alcaudsl.sys"
to your hard disk somewhere.  (Although the file appears to be for Windows,
it is actually uploaded to the modem).  Don't use the downloaded mgmt.o -
it doesn't seem to work properly.

You are probably coming at Linux at the wrong end.  As you say, doing this
sort of thing presupposes some Linux knowledge and not a very good
grounding if you are new to it.  Don't let it put you off though!

Email me if you are stuck and I'll send you what I've got.  I'm running SuSE
8.0 but that shouldn't make any difference.

PS.  Don't top post in newsgroups, it makes replying a real pain and you'll
get flamed.

--
David Yan
www.ahcis.com - for platform independent software

 
 
 

Need Help...

Post by Hamish McDuf » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:00:02


Cheers David, getting some help from a guy in another forum (and one not so
helpful, seems like he has a bee in his bonnet for asking for help as I am
unsure what I am doing)....This is the error I get when trying to do the
make command:

Okay, done the unpacking, here is the error I get when trying to do the
makefile on the speedmgmt driver thing:

Warning: Object was compiled with libc-2.1.92, you APPEAR to be using
libc-2.2.2
gcc mgmt.o -o speedmgmt

Anyone any ideas of what is going wrong here?