Hard Disk too big?

Post by Yeo Zhuanqua » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I want to install linux on my computer, but it seems that my hard disk is
too big (34GB). As a result, I get negative disk space when i use the
install wizard!
Is there a limit to the disk size which linux can support? Is my disk really
too big? How can I solve my my problem?

Hard Disk too big?

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I want to install linux on my computer, but it seems that my hard disk
is
> too big (34GB). As a result, I get negative disk space when i use the
> install wizard!

Which distribution of Linux are you using?  IIRC, some Redhat distros
had odd problems like that.  They've posted fixes on their website.
Also, did the drive come with software like "EZ-Drive" or "Drive
Manager"?  Linux may not get along well with software like that, as
those things sit on large hard drives and try to help DOS/Win use them.

I'm pretty sure people have posted accounts of similar problems in this
NG as well.  Try searching comp.os.linux.hardware for "large drive" via
deja.com or your favorite Usenet search engine...

Quote:> Is there a limit to the disk size which linux can support? Is my disk
really
> too big? How can I solve my my problem?

There is a limit to the disk size; it's 137.5 G per drive for IDE drives
(I think.)  If you need more space than that on a single drive, you'll
have to get a RAID controller and make the array look like a single
drive using software :-)

--
--MG (http://www.veryComputer.com/~mhgraham)
"Campus Crusade for Cthulhu!  If your God's dead, blame Ours!"

Before you buy.

1. big disk problems - or: big-disk problems?

Hi there!

I have really big problems. I try to set up a 45 GB Western Digital
Caviar 450AA (secondary IDE controller, master-drive). I patched my
machine with the recommended patch cluster which also contains patch no.
110202-01 for the ata-drivers. I am able to fdisk the drive with a
geometry file using fdisk with options. I am also able to partition the
disk with the native solaris 8 x86 format tool. I label the disk - fine
so far. But when I try to build a filesystem on it, newfs terminates wih
errors. I afterwards tried to set up a scsi-disk with 4,1 GB (IBM DCAS
34330). The same problem occured: newfs (as well as mkfs with options)
terminated with the following error message:

mkfs: bad value for size: 0 must be between 1024 and 0
mkfs: size reset to default 0
mkfs: bad value for ntrack: 6 must be between 1 and 0
mkfs: ntrack reset to default 16
seek error on sector -1: invalid argument

That's pretty strange, isn't it? I don't know wheter Solaris x86 is that
different from Solaris SPARC edition. Perhaps I'm too dumb to get this
machine working and should put my fingers off Solaris x86 edition.

Could anybody in this world help me? Or has anybody the same problems?
You know - it's just for my collegues: they are now calling me brad...

Greetings

SERGEJ

2. Sharing swap partion with OS/2

3. Big, Big Very BIG SCSI DISK

4. FTP Server

5. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

6. Save money!!!

7. Problems installing SuSe 7.0 with big hard disk

8. Errors compiling Linux (upgrade w/SB32)

9. BIG problem with disk space and hard links

10. Big Hard Disk(4.3 Gb)

11. Problem with big Hard Disk

12. Big Hard Disks - PROBLEM!?

13. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??