Budget Laptops

Post by Sean Dundo » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 07:03:43

> Does anyone know of a good budget laptop which will ceratinly work with
> linux. Preferably a major brand. I am intending to use SuSE 7.2. Preferably
> with LAN card and CDROM.
> Many Thanks.
> Jon

Well, I was given a Winbook FX.  DON'T BUY WINBOOK.  I had at least two
major problems.
Do not buy a laptop that has a BIOS that doesn't boot from CDROM, and
try to avoid swap bays.  Just trust me, it took weeks for me to figure
out how to get SuSE on mine, and I had to install a distro via diskette
first.

Budget Laptops

Post by Robert Davie » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 06:52:14

> I strongly recommend dell laptops.  They are excellent laptops.  The best
> I've used and I have used a lot of laptops.  Stay away from Compaq for the
> most part.  They make halfway decent desktops (used to be the best) but I
> haven't been too fond of their laptops.

Problem with Compaq is they tend to have non-standard stuff like SMART boot
which messes you up, when you want to do something they've not thought of,
like install Linux.

Rob

Budget Laptops

Post by Linon » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:24:59

After takin' a swig o' grog, Jon Wilson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> Does anyone know of a good budget laptop which will ceratinly work with

www.enpower.com

--
A day without some form of UNIX sucks

Budget Laptops

Post by Linon » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:25:59

After takin' a swig o' grog, Jens Greven belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> Just be careful not to choose a no name model, because you can get into
> seriuos trouble when you need service or replacements...

All of my laptops have been no-name:  www.enpower.com.

Chris

--
A day without some form of UNIX sucks

Budget Laptops

Post by vasu muppall » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:05:10

Winbook is made by quanta- the same co. that makes Dell notebooks.

>> Does anyone know of a good budget laptop which will ceratinly work with
>> linux. Preferably a major brand. I am intending to use SuSE 7.2.
>> Preferably with LAN card and CDROM.
>> Many Thanks.
>> Jon

> Well, I was given a Winbook FX.  DON'T BUY WINBOOK.  I had at least two
> major problems.
> Do not buy a laptop that has a BIOS that doesn't boot from CDROM, and
> try to avoid swap bays.  Just trust me, it took weeks for me to figure
> out how to get SuSE on mine, and I had to install a distro via diskette
> first.

Budget Laptops

Post by rutledg » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:48:25

> Acer Extensa 5XX series work really well. Acer themselves are soon to be
> supporting Linux as well, if not already.

> > Does anyone know of a good budget laptop which will ceratinly work with
> > linux. Preferably a major brand. I am intending to use SuSE 7.2.
> Preferably
> > with LAN card and CDROM.
> > Many Thanks.
> > Jon

I'm using an OLD Compaq, which runs GREAT on Slackware w/ new kernel...
I've been on the commercial side selling notebooks along with the usual
servers and workstations, and have had bad experiences with anything but
the best brand-names.  The small OEMs just can't give you 72hour
turnaround etc. the the big names can... The new HPs and Gateways are
kind of cheap, but the rest of the usual builders are pretty good.  IBM
makes exceptional notebooks, but they are pricey...  I'm a firm believer
in used name-brand with at least 90 day warranty...  Don't forget about
the iBook and PowerBook, you can run linux, BSD, and vintage MacOS as
well as X...

Budget Laptops

Post by Gossamer A » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 06:39:53

> Acer Extensa 5XX series work really well. Acer themselves are soon to be
> supporting Linux as well, if not already.

I picked up a Toshiba Satellite for $799 on sale the day after
Thanksgiving (2001).  Everything works fine.  The only thing is you
need a 2.4.x kernel to get the soundcard working properly.  I'm
running Slackware 8 on it, and it runs great.

http://metaledge.darktech.org
telnet://metaledge.darktech.org

Budget Laptops

Post by Georg Hoerman » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:32:50

>> Acer Extensa 5XX series work really well. Acer themselves are soon to be
>> supporting Linux as well, if not already.

>I picked up a Toshiba Satellite for $799 on sale the day after
>Thanksgiving (2001).  Everything works fine.  The only thing is you
>need a 2.4.x kernel to get the soundcard working properly.  I'm
>running Slackware 8 on it, and it runs great.

>http://metaledge.darktech.org
>telnet://metaledge.darktech.org

do *not* use Sony Vaio ernty-level Notebooks - lots of problems with
power management and absolutely *no* support from sony.

Gruss Georg

--
Georg Hoermann, Ecosystem Research Center, Kiel University, Germany
Tel. #49-431-880-4615, fx: -4083 Home: 0451/47 70 32, -33 fax, 0172/431 57 15

Budget Laptops

Post by Visvana » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:15:35

Hi

> Does anyone know of a good budget laptop which will ceratinly work with
> linux. Preferably a major brand. I am intending to use SuSE 7.2. Preferably
> with LAN card and CDROM.

Collect what is available and check with www.linux-laptop.net.

For example, currently in at/ch/de Hewlett-Packard and Fujitsu-Siemens bring
priceworthy notebooks. Reading the discussions at comp.os.linux.portable one
gets the feeling that hp is moving away from Linux whereas Fujitsu is discovering
it.

Visvanath.