e2fsck won't mount same disk after new disk...?

e2fsck won't mount same disk after new disk...?

Post by Jim Leona » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I tried to boot up Linux the other day after replacing a hard drive (the
second one) that Linux never touched with a Quantum 2.5 GB IDE drive,
and a perfectly good partition on the FIRST drive suddenly wouldn't
mount.  e2fsck printed the following:

        e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short
        read while trying to open /dev/hda6

What the hell is this?  I really need the data off of that partition...
The second drive was never, ever recoginized by Linux, so I can't see
how swapping a drive Linux wasn't told to see messes up the first one.
All the other partitions on the first one are fine...

Can anyone help?
--
Jim Leonard, SysAdmin at DePaul University and demofreak

For a new experience, try http://www.cdrom.com/pub/demos/hornet/html/demos.html

1. Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

I installed SLS on my 2nd SCSI drive, and created a boot
disk by copying the kernal to a floppy, after using
rdev to set the root device to /dev/sdb1.  When the
floppy boots, I get a login prompt, but when I enter
anything, I get a "/bin/login not found" error.  I can
mount the hard disk if I boot from the A1.3 floppy -
how to I get my boot floppy to do it for me?

2. syslog.conf

3. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

4. diskless booting using a ramdisk root filesystem; possible ?

5. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount

6. Ksh read bug

7. Win a 6.5GB Brand new disk with 3 years warranty 4 your old disk

8. DIY Linux Distribution

9. IBM disk as boot disk won't work in SS LX under 2.5.1?

10. redhat disk druid won't use 2nd disk

11. Linux won't mount 470Mb MO disks.

12. SyQuest removeable disk won't mount on A/UX

13. bad partition on good disk won't mount or fsck (bad magic number/superblock)