sub $1000 laptops

Post by Ramakrishnan » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:34:58

Hello World,

I am from India, and will be travelling to US shortly and would like to
buy a laptop (Used or New). I will be able to afford only $1000 for it.
Could I get reccomendations for such a thing which linux kernel
compatible? It will be my development machine while on travel.

--
Ramakrishnan M     WWW: http://www.symonds.net/~rkrishnan/

sub $1000 laptops

Post by Major Dond » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:39:24

A year ago I bought a Toshiba laptop for about $1200.  It works great
with linux.  I'd image that you could buy a very nice laptop for $1,000
now.

Search for linux-laptop.org maybe - it's around; I think they just
changed their URL.  It has a lot of info about laptops and linux.

--Yan

Quote:> Hello World,

> I am from India, and will be travelling to US shortly and would like to
> buy a laptop (Used or New). I will be able to afford only $1000 for it.
> Could I get reccomendations for such a thing which linux kernel
> compatible? It will be my development machine while on travel.

sub $1000 laptops

Post by Ramakrishnan » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:18:38

Thanks a lot. I just did some research. It looks like IBM thinkpad 600,
600E etc (not 600x which has a winmodem) are very well supported. I am
hoping to buy a used/refurbished IBM thinkpad 600 series modem from ebay
or so. Any suggestion on the buying sites(ebay,ubid,egghead) etc?

Ramakrishnan

> A year ago I bought a Toshiba laptop for about $1200.  It works great
> with linux.  I'd image that you could buy a very nice laptop for $1,000
> now.

> Search for linux-laptop.org maybe - it's around; I think they just
> changed their URL.  It has a lot of info about laptops and linux.

> --Yan

> > Hello World,

> > I am from India, and will be travelling to US shortly and would like to
> > buy a laptop (Used or New). I will be able to afford only $1000 for it.
> > Could I get reccomendations for such a thing which linux kernel
> > compatible? It will be my development machine while on travel.

--
Ramakrishnan M     WWW: http://www.symonds.net/~rkrishnan/

sub $1000 laptops

Post by Yan Seine » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:41:43

I have a very good relationship with CDW.  Of course, I buy a lot from
them - but on average, they have better than average prices.

I'd stay away from used/refurbised unless they have a great warranty.
The reason I bought the Toshiba is that they also have a 3 year
cover-everything warranty.  If the thing gets run over by a truck, they
replace it.  If it breaks, they replace it.  If it falls off a building,
send them the pieces and they send you a replacement.  It's also good
worldwide, something that's important to me.  I did not buy IBM because
of their very, very limited warranty.  I like IBM - they make really good
stuff, but their warranties typically suck.

--Yan

> Thanks a lot. I just did some research. It looks like IBM thinkpad 600,
> 600E etc (not 600x which has a winmodem) are very well supported. I am
> hoping to buy a used/refurbished IBM thinkpad 600 series modem from ebay
> or so. Any suggestion on the buying sites(ebay,ubid,egghead) etc?

> Ramakrishnan

>> A year ago I bought a Toshiba laptop for about $1200.  It works great
>> with linux.  I'd image that you could buy a very nice laptop for $1,000
>> now.

>> Search for linux-laptop.org maybe - it's around; I think they just
>> changed their URL.  It has a lot of info about laptops and linux.

>> --Yan

>> > Hello World,

>> > I am from India, and will be travelling to US shortly and would like
>> > to buy a laptop (Used or New). I will be able to afford only $1000
>> > for it. Could I get reccomendations for such a thing which linux
>> > kernel compatible? It will be my development machine while on travel.

sub $1000 laptops

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:06:28

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:48:38 +0530, Ramakrishnan M staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>> A year ago I bought a Toshiba laptop for about $1200.  It works great
>> with linux.  I'd image that you could buy a very nice laptop for
>> $1,000 now.

>> Search for linux-laptop.org maybe - it's around; I think they just
>> changed their URL.  It has a lot of info about laptops and linux.

>Thanks a lot. I just did some research. It looks like IBM thinkpad 600,
>600E etc (not 600x which has a winmodem) are very well supported. I am
>hoping to buy a used/refurbished IBM thinkpad 600 series modem from
>ebay or so. Any suggestion on the buying sites(ebay,ubid,egghead) etc?

The LoseModem on the 600X is supported with the half-binary, half-Open
driver available at http://www.heby.de/ltmodem/ .  I bought my 600X for
$1200 back in February, and everything on it works under a recent
distro.  You can get a refurbished 600X for ~$850 if you look at the
listings on http://www.pricewatch.com/ , and the price is right for what

Lose98SE [yuck] )

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

sub $1000 laptops

Post by Ramakrishnan » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:01:08

> driver available at http://www.heby.de/ltmodem/ .  I bought my 600X for
> $1200 back in February, and everything on it works under a recent

Is a brand new one still available?

--
Ramakrishnan M     WWW: http://www.symonds.net/~rkrishnan/

sub $1000 laptops

Post by Dave Merril » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 04:51:43

I'm not sure if there are new 600 models around but I have picked up three
different ones used in pastfew months for family members and one friend, all
in the $500 range. Personally, I've used one for work since they came out (3
years, I think) and been very happy with it. It's being replaced by a new
machine as part of our process to keep machines upgraded but I have RH7.1
running on it and it works very well. The machines I purchased for others I
put windows on, usually 98 or 2000 and they have been happy there. The neat
thing I've found with 600's are that there are many many parts out on ebay
cheap so I was able to get max memory (256MB), DVD, second drive adapters
all very cheap. While they aren't state-of-the-art fastm they are very
dependable.

Dave

> > driver available at http://www.heby.de/ltmodem/ .  I bought my 600X for
> > $1200 back in February, and everything on it works under a recent

> Is a brand new one still available?

> --
> Ramakrishnan M     WWW: http://www.symonds.net/~rkrishnan/

1. Dell enters sub $1000 PC market

Sorry, I don't have a URL to give you.

The newswire (I don't recall which feed) had an article today about
DELL entering the sub $1000 PC market.  DELL will be shipping these
new, inexpensive machines with Linux pre-installed.  I believe it will
be the Red Hat distribution.

I hope DELL has success with this market.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

Where was it you said you wanted to go today?  Sorry, you can't get
there from here.

2. embedded web server to buy?

3. Sub-sub-sub-sub-sub subdomains?

4. Search for list of RAM types

5. $1000 qmail Security Challange

6. 5.0 from cvs

7. Make $1000's Monthly!

8. Any class-viewer ?

9. FS: Dell PowerEdge 1300 350Mhz Server $1000

10. Color PostScript printer for < $1000?

11. Q: Good backup solution below $1000 ?

12. Last call: $1000 qmail Security Challenge