A7N266-VM nForce-based mobo compatibility

A7N266-VM nForce-based mobo compatibility

Post by Dave Robert » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 16:45:08

I'm thinking about buying an nVidia nForce-based mobo (A7N266-VM).
Newegg.com has them on sale for $73. Any thoughts with respect to running
RH 8.0 on this? It's pretty integrated, containing LAN, Audio, USB, and
Video, and I'm wondering if there are Linux drivers for all the various
peripheral sub-systems on the board. The video is GF2-based, so I'm
assuming I'm okay there. LAN and Audio were my two biggest worries.

- Dave

Post by Allen Cride » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 19:16:13

> I'm thinking about buying an nVidia nForce-based mobo (A7N266-VM).
> Newegg.com has them on sale for $73. Any thoughts with respect to running
> RH 8.0 on this? It's pretty integrated, containing LAN, Audio, USB, and
> Video, and I'm wondering if there are Linux drivers for all the various
> peripheral sub-systems on the board. The video is GF2-based, so I'm
> assuming I'm okay there. LAN and Audio were my two biggest worries.

> - Dave

I have no idea how different distros support what motherboards, but I'm
running one of those Asus motherboards right now. The audio runs on the
Intel810 driver. The lan runs on the Nvidia binary driver, as do the
Xwindow drivers, which you can get from Nvidia's website. Nvidia provides
RPM binaries for RH, which may or may not be easy to install.

The performance is excellent for an all-in-one board.

1. Solaris x86 V9 & Asus A7N266-VM motherboard

I have a Linux/Solaris test system intended to explore hardware &
network compatibility issues. It is composed of an Asus A7N266-VM
motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 1700+ CPU, 512 Mbytes DDR RAM, Seagate 40
Gbyte HD, and Sony DVD-ROM. The Asus mobo possesses integrated video,
audio, and LAN components and uses an Nvidia Nforce 220D chipset.

My experience with testing Mandrake 9.0 and Redhat 8.0 has shown that
these Linux distros had significant but ultimately solvable issues with
this motherboard. Drivers had to be downloaded from Nvidia and
installing those drivers was a lengthy process. Incidentally Nvidia does
not have drivers for Solaris. I am wondering whether anyone has had
success in installing & running Solaris 9 x86 on this motherboard. Any
pointers/suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Error while formatting hard disk

3. ASUS A7N266-E (nForce 420-D Chipset) Sound Problem

4. Need help to reboot my machine

5. ASUS A7N266 Compatibility with RH 7.3

6. LS120 and ftape

7. ASUS A8N-VM CSM: GeForce 6150/nForce 430 work with Fedora and latest nVidia drivers?

8. ftp daemon

9. ASUS ABN-VM CSM / Nvidia 6150 Nforce 430 Scoket 939 and Linux

10. Question about SATA Native Command Queueing on Nforce 3/Nforce 4

11. lost interupt errors when ripping CD's on system with Via KM266 based mobo

12. 2.4.17 rmap based VM #9

13. rmap based VM #11a