PCI PNP Modem under Linux

Post by Dave Townsen » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

OK, I admit it I am kind of new to this business, so I would appreciate any
help anyone can give me.

I am trying to set up a PCI modem, although I don't know it's make or
anything, since it was just some unbranded thing bundled with a PC. On a
different machine, with Windows 98, windows already had the drivers for it
and had set it up to COM3. Once in my linux machine, it had (unsurprisingly)
lost its configuration, and the PC's BIOS did not seem to know what to do
with it. The following entry, which seems to be the modem in question
appears in /proc/pci :

  Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=127a. Device id=1005.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 3.  Master Capable.
Latency=64.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedf0000.

I don't really understand how to set up plug n play devices in linux or
anything, and no drivers were released for the modem. I just want to get it
to use one of the serial ports so I can dial out on it.

Can anyone help me?

PCI PNP Modem under Linux

Post by Borislav Iordano » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Sorry to reply with no actual response. Just wanna say I'm in the same
situation as you. A PCI modem working very well under Windows 98 , not
recognized by Linux and with a similar entry in /proc/pci. If you find
some useful info, please pass it by, and likewise for me.

Take care,

Borislav

> OK, I admit it I am kind of new to this business, so I would appreciate any
> help anyone can give me.

> I am trying to set up a PCI modem, although I don't know it's make or
> anything, since it was just some unbranded thing bundled with a PC. On a
> different machine, with Windows 98, windows already had the drivers for it
> and had set it up to COM3. Once in my linux machine, it had (unsurprisingly)
> lost its configuration, and the PC's BIOS did not seem to know what to do
> with it. The following entry, which seems to be the modem in question
> appears in /proc/pci :

>   Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
>     Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
>       Vendor id=127a. Device id=1005.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 3.  Master Capable.
> Latency=64.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedf0000.

> I don't really understand how to set up plug n play devices in linux or
> anything, and no drivers were released for the modem. I just want to get it
> to use one of the serial ports so I can dial out on it.

> Can anyone help me?

PCI PNP Modem under Linux

Post by Vanessa J. F. Pinte » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Plug and Play is a Windows thing.  Linux does not support
it.  My installation manual says to get at the device
physically to change the jumpers.  (?) A manual for the
device would be nice.  Maybe if you opened up the computer
box and looked in there with a flashlight and a magnifying
glass...

Vanessa

PCI PNP Modem under Linux

Post by dc.. » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Then don't don't tell my Linux box that.  My PnP cards might stop wroking.  ;-)
From my understanding PnP support in Linux is very recent.
I'm using 2.0.35 at the moment.

Dan

Quote:>Plug and Play is a Windows thing.  Linux does not support
>it.  My installation manual says to get at the device
>physically to change the jumpers.  (?) A manual for the
>device would be nice.  Maybe if you opened up the computer
>box and looked in there with a flashlight and a magnifying
>glass...

>Vanessa

Dan Critchlow
*** ANTI-SPAM in effect - remove 'nospam' from reply address.

1. Linux , PCI sound cards, Zoom PCI pnp Modems

Just "discovered" linux recently, and until now never even considered the
possibility of wanting to run something other than windows when I
purchased my most recent modem about 6 months ago.... I suspect that I
will have to replace it in order to have net access with Linux.. It is a
Zoom PCI K56Flex (HCF dual mode.)  Anyone attempted to write a driver for
this modem? Nowhere in the literature or box did it say winmodem, but I
suspect that it might not even be possible to make it work in Linux..

How about a pci sound card-I believe it supports legacy sb16, right
address, memory and irq, but it is a pci no name 4D card...
Kevin
--
Check out my website at:
http://www.kta-hifi.com for diy projects, books, parts, and other tube hi-fi related items.

Remove spamnomore. from email address to reply.

2. What happens at BSD boot sequence (root fs)

3. PNP PCI Modem linux problem

4. how to setup a PPP connection

5. HELP! PCI PnP Modem Troubles!

6. How to switch user id for shell script?

7. Help with a Zoom 56K PCI Pnp Modem (NO WINMODEM)

8. Hard drive tests

9. PCI and PNP modem

10. PCI PNP modem help needed

11. Modem-Problem:PCI Euro ViVa CommCenter PnP

12. PNP PCI modem problem

13. problem with 56K PCI PNP modem...