Redhat 5 and 3C900 Boomerang

Post by laws.. » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm having trouble getting Redhat 5 to detect my 3C900 network card.
During installation it prompts me to setup networking and even has the
Boomerang and Vortex cards listed (therefore it has drivers etc???).

Problem being that the autoprobe can't detect my card. I have tried all
the options from Boomerang down to (in complete desperation, 3C501!!)
but it can't detect anything. I have no doco for the card so I have no
idea as to any parameters etc that may make things work "auto-magically"

The machine has a S3 Trio in the 1st PCI slot. The 3C900 was in the
second but it gave an error message there so I swapped it to the 3rd PCI
slot and the error message stopped.

Has anyone had any experience with getting one of these cards going?
Settings etc etc?

Please help before I get really desperate and go waste money on a NE2000
ISA clone or shoot myself or..........

Apart from all this, the system installation was simplicity itself and
(almost) everything went like a dream. (take note William G.!!)

Cheers
Mike

1. Redhat 5 and 3C900 Boomerang

  l> I'm having trouble getting Redhat 5 to detect my 3C900 network
  l> card.  During installation it prompts me to setup networking and
  l> even has the Boomerang and Vortex cards listed (therefore it has
  l> drivers etc???).
[...]
  l> Has anyone had any experience with getting one of these cards going?
  l> Settings etc etc?

Yep.  Red Hat 5.0; Dell PowerEdge 4200.  I had to update the "3c59x"
(Vortex/Boomerang) module from Donald Becker's web page (see the
3c59x.c source code file for the URL).

My /etc/conf.modules contains:-

# bleah.
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

alias eth0 3c59x
options 3c59x debug=3 options=0x07

# Media override is encoded in the bottom three bits.
# Values are
# 0     10baseT
# 1     10Mbs AUI
# 2     undefined
# 3     10base2
# 4     100baseTX
# 5     100baseFX
# 6     MII
# 7     undefined (i.e. auto-probe)

2. X *server* sorry!

3. all Boomerang (3c900/905) users...

4. Promise Technology DMA/33 Controller Card

5. 3c900/905: (more) stable version of boomerang.c

6. time/udp server failing?

7. Support for 3com Etherlink XL aka 3c900 aka boomerang?

8. high kernel memory usage

9. 3com Boomerang and Cyclone in RedHat?

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. 3com 3c900, Redhat 6.2 and @home - Will it work?