Is there a bpcd.o for kernel 2.2.5?

Post by John York » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

My Backpack CD ROM used to work perfectly using the kernel installed with
RedHat 5.2 but after installing RedHat 6.0 I find out that there is no
bpcd.o file delivered anymore.  Does anyone know where I can get a bpcd.o
(binary preferred over source) which has been compiled for kernel 2.2.5 and
works?

Help!!  My Call to Power for Linux CD is on order and expected soon!

John Yorke

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Is there a bpcd.o for kernel 2.2.5?

Post by Steffen Klu » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>My Backpack CD ROM used to work perfectly using the kernel installed with
>RedHat 5.2 but after installing RedHat 6.0 I find out that there is no
>bpcd.o file delivered anymore.  Does anyone know where I can get a bpcd.o
>(binary preferred over source) which has been compiled for kernel 2.2.5 and
>works?

With 2.2.x kernels (actually starting from 2.1.7x or somewhere
in that range) you use a new generation of parallel port
drivers. I've just mounted a backpack CDROM using a 2.2.5-ac6
kernel and lsmod shows the following:

Module                  Size  Used by
pcd                    11724   1
bpck                    8812   1
cdrom                  12060   0  [pcd]
isofs                  17096   1  (autoclean)
parport_probe           2848   0  (autoclean) (unused)
paride                  3184   1  (autoclean) [pcd bpck]
parport                 6632   0  (autoclean) [parport_probe paride]

The cdrom device is called /dev/pcd0.

So, building the kernel with parport, paride and backpack
support (as modules if you want) should do the trick.

Btw, parport is a generic driver for parallel ports, used by all
sorts of device specific drivers (like paride or lp) that also
supports daisy-chaining of devices. With this setup I'm using a
printer connected to the backpack, something not possible under
2.0.x.

Hope this helps
Steffen.

--

Fujitsu Australia Ltd

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. Security for Idiots Please.

3. Gnome Panel GONE!

5. Slow lpt

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Release -0.79 of SmallEiffel The GNU Eiffel Compiler

11. I am si**y am I?

12. Aryojan again Kernel panic at boot time <- i am stupid?